Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Please come to our office 2015/1/17 20:11
Hello!

I've been asked to visit the office of a company I'd like to work with in Japan. I haven't left on my trip yet, so before I go I was wondering what would be expected of me if I visit such a place or have an interview - I read that a formal business suit is the Japanese way, but would it be seen as inappropriate for a westoner to wear a smart shirt, tie and smart trousers? I'm planning to go to Japan for a year and I'm not sure that I want to take a suit with me for an entire year which I may only wear once or twice.

Thanks!
by Cojimonster  

Re: Please come to our office 2015/1/18 11:40
Don't wear a tie, that's way too formal for a first office visit. If you've misjudged the seriousness of the invitation it will be awkward if you're too dressed up.

It's hard to say more without knowing things like how the invitation was phrased, what kind of industry the company is in, and what the potential relationship would be.

For example if you want to do a pitch to a boutique marketing firm as an outside consultant, it's very different from applying for an internship at a bank.

When I first moved to Japan I was confused by multiple invitations to "come by the office and hang out." Not knowing any better, I took this literally, with awkward results. Suffice it to say, when someone invites you to their office to hang out, they're just being polite, and they really don't expect you to come by the office in the middle of the work day and hang out.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Please come to our office 2015/1/18 14:18
A casual visiting to office is apart of job interview. You should wear a formal clothing even though they say a casual is alright.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Please come to our office 2015/1/18 17:51
The short answer is, if it's a suit-and-tie situation for the Japanese, I see no reason it is not for a Westerner.

By the way, you're the childcare pro, am I right?
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+121589

Like the other poster, I too wonder what this office visit is all about and what kind of a person you are. I had thought you are a female. Ties aren't expected on females. Also, if you're visiting for a childcare job, you might want to wear something formal-looking, but what allows you to play with children at the same time.

Anyway, even if you're coming here to Japan as a tourist, why not bring a nice jacket with a collar as well as a neat shirt? I would. That will allow me to go to nice restaurants/theatres and academic places. And I'm sure a tie won't be a burden to bring along. Also, if you're staying in Japan for a while, you can buy a suit after arrival.

Either way, when visiting an office, you can't make mistakes with a suit and tie, while casual wear can lead to mistakes depending on the situation.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Please come to our office 2015/1/18 18:59
Either way, when visiting an office, you can't make mistakes with a suit and tie, while casual wear can lead to mistakes depending on the situation.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. I work in a "creative" industry, I've been on both sides of the interview table many times, and there are definitely occasions when a suit and tie would give the wrong impression (especially during an informal drop-in).

With a little more information about the OP, I'd also say that wearing a suit for a drop-in visit to discuss childcare work would be way overdressed. The rule of thumb even for a formal job interview is to wear the sort of clothes you'd wear on the job; I don't think that would be a suit.

If it were me I might go with a jacket or a tie, but not both. Unless it's the height of summer.

Re: Please come to our office 2015/1/18 19:19
Yup! I'm the childcare guy. I'm male!

It's a company who provide baby sitters and nannies called Honey Clover. They also provide English speaking staff, which I why I applied. I sent a mail with my C.V/Resume and a photo politely expressing my interest in working with them when I arrive in Japan. the email I received back is:
"Hello

Thank you for your mail.

Please come to our office after arriving here.
We are looking forward to seeing you
See you soon
Best regards"

I can't really tell if they mean for a talk, just to get some information or for an interview. Whichever it is, it'd be useful to know how to dress for each.

As someone mentioned here before, if it were a "Suit and tie" situation, I should wear one regardless of where I'm from, but actually I haven't worn a suit for an interview before - I usually go with a shirt, nice shoes and tie because it feels like a suit is more formal, for super serious high positions. This is the kind of job I'll be looking for so knowing what's best to wear will really help out!

Last thing: I have a little "patch" of hair on my chin. Not a full beard and I keep it neat and tidy...Is it better to remove it, do you think?
by Cojimonster rate this post as useful

Re: Please come to our office 2015/1/18 19:48
Sounds like an interview, at least an informal one. Again, the rule of thumb is to dress as you'd dress at work, although I guess a tie wouldn't hurt.

And yes, if you shave it will make them feel more comfortable, although you might get away with not shaving, especially since you've already sent them a photo and they invited you in anyway.

Good luck!

Re: Please come to our office 2015/1/18 21:52
Cojimonster,

Did you take a look at the company's website? On the foreign language sitter's profile page, there are two males. They both wear shirts with collars and one of them wears quite a serious-looking tie and jacket.

So I suppose that's what the company expects on they're employee's profile, although they'd wear something more casual when babysitting, like the Japanese male playing with a child on the website's cover.

So my short answer is, for this company a suit and tie won't hurt, but especially if you're young, you can most likely get away with a neat button-down shirt.

And note that the two males on the website wear no beards or mustaches. Many Japanese school teachers do grow beards or mustaches, but that's usually after they get to know the parents.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread