Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to check if the route is under JR Pass 2015/1/25 10:40
HI,

This is our very first trip to Japan and am exploring on the JR pass. Am very confused and lost when we are checking and calculating if a JR pass or single trip is more worth. Below is one of the example when I check from Kanazawa to Nagano.

From the below, it shows the whole trip cost
Total:¥ 6,910(TicketFare:¥ 4,430 Seat Fee:¥ 2,480).

From the price indicated, how do I know which is not cover by JR and I need to top up ? Also, is it a must to have a reserved seat ? Can we save some cost by not reserving any seat ?

One more question, if it shows 1 transfer, does it mean I have to get out of the train and transfer to another train ?

Dep Kanazawa

[ Departure track No.6 ]

LTD. EXP HAKUTAKA 11

Tra NAOETSU
JR Shinetsu Line

Arr NAGANO
[ Arrival track No.7 ]

by lsharon  

Re: How to check if the route is under JR Pass 2015/1/25 13:03
How to read Hyperdia results:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2323.html

But keep the following in mind:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2368.html

Also, travel along this particular route will completely change from March 14. If you travel on March 14 or later, you will be able to do the trip in a direct shinkansen ride which is fully covered by the Japan Rail Pass. Before March 14, the route you have outlined will be the fastest, and it is also fully covered.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: How to check if the route is under JR Pass 2015/1/28 11:49
if you have a JR Pass, it does NOT cost extra to reserve a seat. some express trains are reserved seats only. so if you have the time, it is advisable to reserve a seat.

but be advised, that on some routes, it may be difficult to keep everyone together, but the ticket agent will do their best to keep you close...especially with kids. the earlier you can reserve the seat, the better. you can reserve seats days in advance.
by akamai4u rate this post as useful

Re: How to check if the route is under JR Pass 2015/1/28 11:55
if it says there is a transfer, then yes, you must exit the train and find the train/platform going to your destination.

you can ask any agent in the station which platform your next train is leaving from as long as you can tell them the destination/station you are going to.

they're pretty knowledgeable of the train schedules.
by akamai4u rate this post as useful

reply to this thread