Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Akihabara for non-otaku tourists 2015/2/2 00:12
Hi!

I'm currently planning a trip to Japan and will cover Tokyo and Kyoto.

I would like to spend a half-day on Akihabara but my companions aren't interested in anime stuff. Since I'll be the one to do the itinerary, I don't like them to get bored while I'm doing my "otaku shopping".

Is there a place in Akibara for general goods, something like or close to Tokyu Hands? So that I can leave them there to shop while I go to an anime shop. Or a place for non-otaku people can go to?

Thank you in advance. :)
by Anon (guest)  

Re: Akihabara for non-otaku tourists 2015/2/2 10:43
You can throw them to an electronic store or to a cafe.

by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Akihabara for non-otaku tourists 2015/2/2 16:48
Honestly, as an otaku myself, I've not bothered to check out what "else" Akihabara has to offer, lol. I would send them over to the Asakusa area, a short ride away on the Chuo line to Asakusabashi station, while you're shopping. In my group, one of our friends left Akiba because he was getting tired of otaku wares.
by Heidi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Akihabara for non-otaku tourists 2015/2/2 17:23
How about Ryogoku? It's only two stations away (4 min. train ride) and there's Edo Tokyo Museum.
http://www.edo-tokyo-museum.or.jp/english/

Currently most part of the museum is closed (until 27th March 2015) but they have an interesting exhibition "Explore! Experience! Edo-Tokyo" in a small scale until 8th March.

There's another museum - Sumo Museum.
http://www.sumo.or.jp/en/sumo_museum/index
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Akihabara for non-otaku tourists 2015/2/2 18:05
Do they really have to be "nearby"? I would suggest to split up for the day. To be honest I think half a day isn't enough to explore Akihabara. I could spend half a day at Yodobashi alone.
by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: Akihabara for non-otaku tourists 2015/2/2 20:29
Just split up for the day, and meet up at the hotel for next day.
On all my trips to japan, 7-8 days visit, I spend at least 3 half days in Akihabara, sometimes I don't know what I want to buy, or I want to see what is on offer elsewhere, so I go to Akihabara a few times as I pass through it to my hotel, I usually stay in hotels in Asakusa, Ueno and Akihabara.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Akihabara for non-otaku tourists 2015/2/2 20:38
Thank you for the suggestions. Yeah, I thought so too, that half day wouldn't be enough. I just wanted to limit my shopping time there because they might get bored. We couldn't divide the group because I'll be like the "guide" during our trip.

I'll check out those museums also, thanks for the links.

by Anon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Akihabara for non-otaku tourists 2015/2/2 21:09
Well then you must try to get the most of your time in Akiba and less exploring. Are you looking for specific items?

Re: Akihabara for non-otaku tourists 2015/2/2 21:10
They can possibly spend 1 hour in Donki-Akihabara, but the Donki store in Akihabara is relatively small, apart of the Donki floor is something like small Tokyu Hands.

Yodobashi Camera Akihabara(Yodobashi-Akiba) is another non-Otaku spot. They can spent 2 hours there include a break in cafe.

Another place is Kanda-Myojin-Temple and Yushima-Seido-Temple. They are both walking distance to Akihabara.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Akihabara for non-otaku tourists 2015/2/2 21:22
There's a lot of great stuff to do in Akihabara that I wouldn't consider very otaku.

3331 Arts Chiyoda is a really interesting experimental art complex inside a former elementary school.

Chabara is a sprawling shop selling different specialty food items from all over Japan, and they have a few small restaurants and a sake bar inside.

Aki-Oka is a rather large complex of artisan workshops for ceramics, fabrics, wooden crafts, and so on.

Maach Ecute is a very nice boutiquey shopping complex inside a repurposed former train station.

Neko Jalala is a small, friendly cat cafe.

Some of them have holidays on different days of the week, so check listings before you go if there's one in particular you're most interested in: http://www.whereintokyo.com/dbinx/ra-ueno.html#akihabara
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

Re: Akihabara for non-otaku tourists 2015/2/2 22:15
The Kanda area is right near Akihabara and good for any type of tourist:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3074.html
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Akihabara for non-otaku tourists 2015/2/2 23:16
Thank you so much for the inputs, I'll make sure to check them all out.

Yes, I wouldn't go around exploring since I will only buy figures, nendoroids and figmas to be exact. Would you have any suggestion on what shop has the most stocks of these?

Thanks again everyone. :)

Re: Akihabara for non-otaku tourists 2015/2/3 00:19
Radio Kaikan it's just outside the JR Electric Town exit, it has many shops including one of my favorites: Jungle. They sell used (look for "–¢ŠJ••" on the label for unopened) figures at discount. They usually carry a wide range of figmas and nendos. With a bit of luck it's the only shop that you need to visit.

http://www.japanvisitor.com/tokyo/tokyo-area-guides/akihabara-shopping (check the map)

good luck!

Re: Akihabara for non-otaku tourists 2015/2/3 22:58
Thank you reprazent. :)

Re: Akihabara for non-otaku tourists 2015/2/4 01:05
You're welcome! btw, for new figures: almost every shop in the region are charging the same price for new stuff. So if you're in a hurry, don't waste time trying to find a bargain. If you do see a price difference of around 10%, it probably doesn't include tax. When in doubt, ask.

reply to this thread