Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling to Kyoto from Singapore? 2015/2/2 20:48
Hi, Im from Singapore. Im planning to go on a vacation with my mother to Japan. my mother and I are more of old souls so we decided to go to Kyoto.
How do you get to Kyoto from Singapore? Im not taking Singapore airlines because its quite expensive. I was thinking of taking Evaair so we have some breaks in between to rest, but im not sure about how to go to kyoto from the main Tokyo airport. (Narita or Haneda, whichever better)
How long do u recommend staying in Kyoto? Do you recommend travelling to other Kansai regions or just like a one stop trip?
I've actually been to japan 2 times, one time because i was in some competition and the other with a tour group, and it was stifling, so im deciding to plan the entire thing myself. I plan to go in the start of November, I heard it'll be autumn there so I really want to let my mother see it. Do you recommend going in autumn?

I actually plan to book by airbnb for some of the accomodations, but Im also interested in onsen resorts, any good ones (affordable ones, that is) that are in good locations?

Im fluent in japanese so booking probably wont be a problem but just in case, do give me their english websites if there is any :)
arigato gozaimasu!
by aubrie he  

Re: Travelling to Kyoto from Singapore? 2015/2/3 10:26
I'd recommend flying into Kansai airport near Osaka instead of Narita or Haneda airports. You'll be much, much closer to Kyoto when you land. Express trains will get you from Kansai Airport to Kyoto in 75 minutes....non-express trains will take about 90 minutes. Getting from Narita or Haneda will take more than 3 hours.

As for how long....personally I could spend weeks in Kyoto looking at everything but that's just me. It's really up to you and your mother for what you want to get out of your trip.
by daai maou rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling to Kyoto from Singapore? 2015/2/3 10:28
Hi, Im from Singapore. Im planning to go on a vacation with my mother to Japan. my mother and I are more of old souls so we decided to go to Kyoto.

Greetings Singaporean!
Congratulations on deciding on Japan, Kyoto. It too is my favorite city.

How do you get to Kyoto from Singapore? Im not taking Singapore airlines because its quite expensive. I was thinking of taking Evaair so we have some breaks in between to rest, but im not sure about how to go to kyoto from the main Tokyo airport. (Narita or Haneda, whichever better)

Kyoto is in Kansai. It is thus best to go to Kansai International Airport (KIX). It is in the prefecture of Osaka so some call it Osaka international airport.
I would recommend taking Jetstar from Singapore to KIX. It stops by Taiwan?

For a non budget airline, I would use ANA.

If you really want to go to Haneda/Narita, since Haneda is nearer to Tokyo city, going to Haneda is the better choice.
From Tokyo to Kyoto it is about a three hour train journey.

How long do u recommend staying in Kyoto?

This really depends on the person. My dad is over 60 but he still does half maratons so we can travel at any speed.
That said, if you are truly old souls type of people a week is good. I've been to Kyoto for a total of more than two weeks
(a full week being in autumn) and would still like to return.

How many days do you have?

Do you recommend travelling to other Kansai regions or just like a one stop trip?

Kansai and Japan in general is very accessible. Set up Kyoto as your base. If you feel like going elsewhere, just hop on a train to Ise, Osaka, Kobe, Himeji, Amanohashidate.
If you don't mind travelling a bit further Okayama and Hiroshima are available as day trips although you would have to go pretty early and leave pretty late to experience it in full.

If onsen is your thing, Wakayama; Shirahama; Kii-Katsura; Arima Onsen; Kinosaki Onsen; are just some of the great onsens in the region.
P.S.
If you love culture Kanazawa is a good place to go. Amazing Garden and many hot spring towns. The second oldest still functioning hotel in the world is there.

I've actually been to japan 2 times, one time because i was in some competition and the other with a tour group, and it was stifling, so im deciding to plan the entire thing myself. I plan to go in the start of November, I heard it'll be autumn there so I really want to let my mother see it. Do you recommend going in autumn?
I actually plan to book by airbnb for some of the accomodations, but Im also interested in onsen resorts, any good ones (affordable ones, that is) that are in good locations?

Autumn is beautiful
Kyoto is beautiful in Autumn. However, with all the crowds comes noise. Kyoto loses some of its Zen which I think is an unique charm that few places has. Still beautiful is beautiful. Do do a more indepth research on where to go for the best autumn spots. Some places has night illuminations. I would recommend Chonoin and Eikando.

Onsen resorts are usually more expensive. The cheaper ones are far from the city center and considering the travel cost and time to get there you might as well go for a onsen hotel nearer to Kyoto. Arima Onsen is really nearby.
Kinosaki onsen is known for the atmostphere but it is a pain to get there.
My favorite onsen hotel is Hotel Urashima at Kii-Katsura but similarly it is a pain to get there.

Im fluent in japanese so booking probably wont be a problem but just in case, do give me their english websites if there is any :)
arigato gozaimasu!

Google Jalan. Probably the most unheard of outside Japan but most powerful travel agency for Japan.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling to Kyoto from Singapore? 2015/2/3 11:40
Did you check out the on-going SQ promo? SIN-KIX round trips tixs are under 700 for July-November and even December.
by CLLR rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling to Kyoto from Singapore? 2015/2/6 20:51
Have you checked MAS? Singapore via KL to KIX.
My Singaporean friend is taking MAS for Cherry blossom, end March 2013 and only paid for Sgd 550+. We have also booked with MAS for Nov,2015 for Autumn in Kyoto. Of course, all the trips were planned months ahead and we managed to wait, search & get the best promos prices. We've checked it against other airlines at the same time and found out MAS has the best prices among the airlines. The transit time is very short and convenient Up to now, MAS still has promos prices for November 2015 and do check Airasia as their prices are slightly cheaper but for comfort, MAS is still our choice.
by mimoko rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling to Kyoto from Singapore? 2015/2/6 21:06
Autumn leaves is super-busy in Kyoto. Best is 3rd week in November. I suggest Nov 20-27, you'll need at least 7 days in Kyoto if it's your 1st time. Important for you to book the hotel right now as the better ones get booked up early on. Also room prices in Kyoto are jacked-up during sakura and koyo (autumn leaves) seasons.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling to Kyoto from Singapore? 2015/2/6 23:29
Oops..Our upcoming trips are this March 2015 & Nov 2015. Typing error.
by mimoko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread