Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Question for first time traveler 2015/2/10 16:03
So this is going to be my first time traveling out of state. I'm planning a trip to Japan with 3 friends from June 2 - June 19 and will be landing in Narita. We plan to visit Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka, Kyoto (to name a few). I will also be in Akihabara since I'm an anime fan. We also plan to stay in AirBnb or other cheap places.

1. What is size luggage should I bring on my trip? Would a checked-medium 25" x 17.5" x 11.5" or a carry-on 20.5" x 14.5" x 10" be better? I plan to carry a backpack while exploring and luggage with my clothes.

2. What transportation pass should I get?

3. What's a good way to carry the currency since coins are really common?

... Have other questions but can't remember them at the moment.
by yovan  

Re: Question for first time traveler 2015/2/10 16:55
1. Depends on how heavy/light a packer you are. While it's definitely easier to get on with just a carry on, some people don't like to have so few clothes, and it also doesn't leave you much room to bring back souvenirs. If you can fit everything you need with room to spare in a carry on, sure why not... otherwise, you'll probably have a base to store the luggage in while you're traveling anyway, so a larger bag wont make that much of a difference.

2. Depends on your itinerary. Generally we say if you're planning a round trip shinkansen ride from Tokyo to Kyoto/Osaka and back, then the 7 day pass is slightly cheaper. Otherwise, its best to decide your itinerary before asking about passes.

3. I use a wallet? Whatever you use now should be fine... There's no need for stuff like money belts.

For awhile I kept the coins and cash separate, but my new wallet is a bit bigger so everything goes together. My old coin purse had 3 compartments, so I kept 500 and 100 coins in one, 50 and 10 in the second, and 1 and 5 in the third. This made it easy to find exact change really quick. No one else I know does that though, and its easier to just throw everything together and dig out what you need, so I don't use it anymore. Something like that might be an option though.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Question for first time traveler 2015/2/10 17:06
Checked case the size you suggest would be fine - looks like the size of my case and it's been to Japan lots of times - I normally stuff about 40lbs/18kg of stuff in it, but some of that is my wife's breakfasts, so it gets lighter as the trips progress. It's not too heavy when I have to do stairs or put it into luggage compartments.

Probably a 14day pass would suit - they might look expensive, but they can work out cheap. I had a guest that did Y150,000 of travel on one - including a trip from Hiroshima to Shikoku and back in four hours - we had time to buy beer and get back on the train - he wanted to go across the huge bridge linking the islands.

Take cash, but know where you can get extra using your money cards/credit cards. I actually use a coin purse in Japan as it's easy to pour a fist full of coins out and hunt up the right change or stuff it into a ticket machine. Leaves my wallet and other cards safe (although it is a very safe) - so probably better if I say it stops me dropping my wallet.

by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Question for first time traveler 2015/2/10 19:31
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Question for first time traveler 2015/2/10 20:06
my opinion
1. bring as little as possible, but remember there are no travel size toiletries in Japan.
2. depends on where you are going. those passes only work on one train company. It may be better to just buy the tickets, there are allot of train lines. I would plan it out and do the math.
3. I would bring big bills and exchange at the airport, usually they have the best rates.

Good luck just remember the more you plan and the more homework you do the more fun you will have while your there.
by GiriNinjo rate this post as useful

Re: Question for first time traveler 2015/2/11 05:35
Do they not have small sized toiletries in combinis?

I'd assumed they did, but now I remember that I've never needed to buy any on a trip. There's always loads of stuff in hotels. More often than not there's even a toothbrush and paste (although I prefer my own, but that's me). Japan is great for travelling light IMHO.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Question for first time traveler 2015/2/11 07:30
but remember there are no travel size toiletries in Japan.
Travel size toiletries are commonly available in Japan.

We also plan to stay in AirBnb or other cheap places.
Please don't. Most AirBnb places in Japan are illegal lets and don't meet fire or safety codes.

What transportation pass should I get?
Depends on your route/timings. Post a plan and Im sure people will have suggestions

What's a good way to carry the currency since coins are really common?
In a wallet or purse? Don't stuff coins or paper money directly in your pocket.

by Lady Kodaira rate this post as useful

Re: Question for first time traveler 2015/2/11 07:43
I plan to have a rough itinerary up in a week or so when my group decide what we want to do.

Seeing what people have to say, I'll probably get a coin pouch or something to carry the coins and my wallet for the bills and my cards. I will also go with the smaller luggage and travel light.

Are there places to do laundry?

Also what are some good places to stay that aren't too expensive?
by yovan rate this post as useful

Re: Question for first time traveler 2015/2/11 08:14
Most, if not all, Toyoko Inn business hotels have one or two washer/driers on the premises. Toyoko Inn also are usually closes to rail stations, so they are convenient for travelers and they tend to be on the inexpensive side.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread