Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Salons & Blonde Hair 2015/2/12 04:22
First of all, hope this is considered a "shopping" question since I'm shopping for hair color ... haha.

I'll be moving to Tokyo in a few months (sometime this summer) and I need to know what I should do with my hair. I'm not a natural blonde, so I get it touched up once every two months or so with highlights. Where in Tokyo would be a good salon that can do hair that isn't Japanese hair? I've read mixed and negative reviews of a few places (such as Assort International Salon). If it's really expensive or impossible to find, I would rather just go back to my natural color instead of messing it up. In my job, I've taken cultural sensitivity classes about different hair types so I'm not trying to be racist, I just realize that there are very real differences in hair texture/shape depending on ethnicity.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
by Heidi (guest)  

Re: Salons & Blonde Hair 2015/2/12 11:31
Oops, not sure if I accidentally put this in the living forum or it got moved, hehe ...
by Heidi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Salons & Blonde Hair 2015/2/14 05:42
I actually am going to be moving to Japan in June and I am a natural blonde but not as light as I have it and I too get highlights. I was talking to my hair stylist and she said that a woman at her salon actually travels to Tokyo every year to give hair lessons for Joico. If you look for a salon that uses Joico products in Tokyo you should be fine as they should be taught how to use Joico products which are used in the US. I too saw that they would use different strengths in bleaches and stuff so they cannot treat our hair the same. There are also a bunch of Aussies out there that do hair as well. I cannot recommend one to you until I ask my hair stylist before I leave if she can give me a few names for salons but figured I would throw that out there.
by Jenn (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Salons & Blonde Hair 2015/2/15 14:28
Thanks for the responsive, Jenn, that's really helpful! I wouldn't have had any idea about seeking out Aussies or that particular product. I'm sure that will be enough to get me pointed in the right direction. Maybe we will manage to find the same salon in Tokyo this summer :)
by Heidi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Salons & Blonde Hair 2015/4/18 19:07
I moved to Tokyo from New York at the end of last year and was looking for a hair cut as well. I googled and I think Assort was the first one that came up, and gave them a try a few months ago, and they weren't bad at all :) BUT, I went on a Saturday, and they seemed really busy, so I would recommend going on a weekday. (I think they said weekends were super busy)

But be careful, it seems not every stylist is experienced with caucasian hair. Ask for Miki, she was my stylist, and she was great :) (at least for me)

Either way, I hope you find what's best before your hair, but most importantly, HAVE A BLAST IN JAPAN!

by Sarah (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Salons & Blonde Hair 2015/4/19 09:25
Mr. Sano, a colorist at Toni and Guy's Harajuku branch, does a decent job on non-Japanese hair.
by Umami Dearest rate this post as useful

reply to this thread