Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kamakura on Sunday 2015/2/16 13:56
I am planning a day trip to Kamakura (from Tokyo). Should I worry about the crowd numbers on trains/ walking / temples/ Restaurants& shops ?

I can do it on a Friday instead, but won't be able to use JR pass.

Please fill me in.

Thanks
by Ratan Saha (guest)  

Re: Kamakura on Sunday 2015/2/16 15:01
Depends on the season. There are certain seasons (e.g. hydrangea flowering season around June) when the Enoden trains can get uncomfortably packed. But then again, it is just a short train ride or you could walk instead. But otherwise I have never found crowds to pose a problem in Kamakura. In particular, the trains between Kamakura and Tokyo are not particularly crowded.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kamakura on Sunday 2015/2/16 15:57
In general, it's best to come to Kamakura on a weekday but as Uji said it's normally only busy for a small section (normally Ofuna to Kamakura from memory).

A nice place to start is to get off at Kita-Kamakura station and then walk to Kamakura station past many of the main temples....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Kamakura on Sunday 2015/2/16 21:05
When going to Kamakura, I recommend always taking the Keihin Tohoku (or Tokaido Main Line) then transferring to the Shonan monorail at Ofuna. Enoden is then just a short walk from the end of the Shonan line. The monorail is, of course, not covered by the JR Pass, but well worth the extra expense. Then you can take Enoden to Hase, or Kamakura or Fujisawa and get back on JR.
by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread