Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Yamanote line walk 3-4 day itinerary 2015/2/20 23:25
Hi all,

I will be visiting Tokyo in March and will spend their 4 full days.

I was reading a lot about exploring the city with the Yamanote Line. I was also reading about the "Yamanote line rubber stamps" and I think it would be quite fun to collect all stamps of the 29 stations of the Yamanote line.

What would be the best way/itinerary to structure those 4 days combining all stations and major sights?

I was searching all over the internet for a potential itinerary but all I found was the Yamathon - walking/running it in one day.

Thanks in advance, any hint highly appreciated

by Caroline (guest)  

Re: Yamanote line walk 3-4 day itinerary 2015/2/21 15:51
Yamanote line stamps are located in various places in the station. It normally locates outside the ticket gate, sometimes inside the ticket counter and desk("Midori-no-madoguchi").
Ask one of the station staff who wears formal uniform where the stamp is.
See the stamps and stamp desk on the blog.
http://calimero0655.hatenablog.jp/entry/2014/10/25/152532

Buy a "To-Kunai Pass"(750 Yen) in JR station. You can go and off unlimited for a day with the ticket.

Bring or buy a notebook for stamp collection. You can buy at Combini or 100 Yen shops.

I think you can easily collect them all in 3-4 hours without any sightseeing.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Yamanote line walk 3-4 day itinerary 2015/2/21 20:40
Perfect, thanks for the hint to the website.
by Caroline (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Yamanote line walk 3-4 day itinerary 2015/2/22 03:32
While the Yamanote Line definitely goes to a lot of the best places in Tokyo, keep in mind that it's also just how people get around the city, so a lot of stops are just long stretches of office buildings.

There are six major hubs on the YL and they're all worth a visit, but frankly you're going to have a much more interesting time sticking between Ikebukuro and Shibuya on the west side of the city. That's not to say you shouldn't visit Ueno (Asakusa is very close and really fun!) or Akihabara (so you can say you paid $20 for a small bowl of rice at a maid cafe), but you're not going to spend more than ten minutes in Okachimachi, or Kanda, or Tabata.

I actually live next to a stop on the YL and I chose my location BECAUSE there's nothing here; it's just peaceful and has a bunch of cheap ramen shops.

So look up the six hubs and find the attractions you like in those areas. You'll see a geographic pattern emerge. Walking the YL is more romantic and practical, but feel free to ride it for a full loop and get out at places that look interesting. Just avoid the morning rush.
by Clock (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread