Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/2/24 17:28
Hello everybody!I am 21 year old female looking to travel solo to Japan either in May, August (birthday month) or October, and have some queries. It's my first time travelling solo so i'm quite excited. Hopefully everyone will be able to help!

I intend on staying around the Kanto region, most likely Tokyo, Hakone, Yokohama and Nikko. If anyone has any others to recommend, please feel free to list!

Most likely, i think i'll be staying for about 12 days or so? Is that too many days or too little? Should i explore other parts of Japan as well? I've visited Osaka, Kyoto and Nara before but it wasn't free and easy, so i'm not sure if i'll want to visit again. Most likely i'll want to visit Kyoto again though.

As a traveller, i like visiting temples, castles, gardens, and beaches. I'm not really a fan of crowded places, so i'm hoping Tokyo won't be a bad choice (I visited Taipei, and it was too busy for my liking).

And also, i'm currently looking out for accommodation in Tokyo, what areas will you guys recommend that is near a train station? So it's more convenient to move around.

The Japan JR line map is sooooo confusing, i don't understand anything at all. If anyone has any tips, please let me know.

Hope to hear from y'all soon!
by doubleqins  

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/2/24 19:15
Ummm to be honest if you don't like busy places... Tokyo isn't a good fit for you
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/2/24 19:55
If you plan to go travel from Tokyo to Kyoto,get a one week Japan Rail Pass which will let you visit some other interesting places nearby or along the way. I recommend visiting Himeji for its castle (probably the best castle in Japan) and Kanazawa for the amazing garden. And if you have an extra day, Hiroshima and Miyajima.
by TxF rate this post as useful

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/2/24 22:09
Hmm... Tokyo is the largest city in the world with the busiest rail system. Are you sure Kanto is the best base?

You seem like your interests are better for West Japan travel. Shikoku would probably be a nice option. The Hokuriku area may be good too.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/2/24 23:03
You have Tokyo and Yokohama on your list and they're the top most populous cities in Japan. You'll probably want to do a lot of side trips if you want to get out of the busy city life, but Kanto may not be the best choice to stay in if you want to visit gardens, castles, etc.

Have you looked into Kyushu? Beaches, castles, gardens and temples. Or as Rabbityama has mentioned, you could opt for Shikoku. Both Kyushu and Shikoku are not as populou. Fukuoka is a city but it's not as crowded as say, Osaka or Tokyo.
by yozakura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/2/24 23:44
you may want to consider volunteer guides to the various sites during your visits. I have contacted them for my trip in Mar'15
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/travel/guide/list_volunteerGuides.ph...
by mwbq rate this post as useful

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/2/25 02:10
Hi guys,

Thanks for the fast replies :D
I do not mind travelling to other parts of Japan, but from what i've experienced in Osaka, the people there can't really understand English. My knowledge of Japanese is very little, and i'm worried it may cause problems.

As a solo traveller, i'm worried it'll be even tougher..
by doubleqins rate this post as useful

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/2/25 04:35
In that case, I would suggest checking out the list of volunteer guides that mwbq posted above. It looks like they do include gardens and castles tours for Tokyo.

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/2/25 10:58
I travelled to many cities during my stay in Japan last year, and never found any difficulty using English - Osaka was fine! I visited Osaka, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Okayama, Fukuoka, Yufuin, Nagasaki, Kagoshima, Yakushima, Mt. Koya, Nara, Kyoto, Tokyo, Hakone, Kamakura and Nikko and didn't have any major trouble with language barriers. Of course, I didn't always communicate through speaking; sometimes there was enough knowledge on both sides to start the conversation and then we'd finish with hand signals. Don't worry about language barriers in the major tourist areas. Of course, it would be polite to learn a few basic phrases (yes, no, thankyou, greetings) in Japanese before you go!
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/2/25 12:15
I would definetely stay away from Tokyo. Chances are you ll end up in some expats bar there and get no insight of real Japan.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/2/25 16:24
If you are more the nature and not too many people type, like others said, think about not staying in Tokyo for too long. Kyushu, Hokkaido or Shikoku are less crowded and there is still plenty to see. Personally, I love Kyushu, lived there for 2,5 months. Also I would consider not going in August as it can be the hottest and most humid summer month in Japan with temperatures over 40‹depending on where you are staying.

Even if you can't speak Japanese, you will get along though. Just take a dictionary for troubles with you or use your phone to translate the most important words beforehand. People are actually always very helpful and friendly and will try to help you if you lost your way and can't find a place. The biggest cities and most important sightseeing spots and trainstations are often having at least a bit written in English so I wouldn't worry too much about that.
by CaroFromGermany rate this post as useful

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/2/26 15:22
Hi everyone!

I've decided to give it a try and visit more places and spend more time.

My current plan is most likely this,
Tokyo ( Day trip to Nikko on 2nd day) (Kanto)
Hakone (To see Mt. Fuji) (Kanto)
Kyoto (Kansai)
Himeji (Kansai)
Nagoya (Chubu)
Kanazawa (Chubu)
Shikoku (Haven't decided which parts exactly)
Kyushu (Nagasaki, Fukuoka)
Maybe Chugoku
Go back from Osaka or Tokyo

This is just a rough idea. Hope to hear what everyone thinks :)

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/2/26 20:28
I traveled to Japan as a solo female twice, now living in Japan as a solo female! Don't let the language barrier deter you from seeing the places you want to go to. Yes it can be difficult but Japanese people are very accommodating, even if they can't speak English they will do their best to help you. As for the railway maps, before my first trip here I was worried about that too, but when you're here in person it's a lot easier to follow. The beauty about Japan is the frequency of public transport, so even if you get the wrong train it's not a big deal. I must say that I'm surprised nobody has suggested Hiroshima. To me it is a great city and Miyajima Island is beautiful. Not to mention Okunoshima (bunny island!).
by jennjett rate this post as useful

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/2/26 20:56
Other nice places to consider:

Hiroshima area. Genbaku dome/Peace museum. Also has a couple nice castles near there, can take a ferry to Miyajima. You can see a lot of places in one day around there if you plan it well.

How do you feel about hot springs? If you end up in Kyushu, you can try the Beppu area. Lots of different hot springs, and you can visit Jigoku Meguri (a nice little outdoor natural siteseeing spot, although you can't really enter any of the waters).

You can also see Kumamoto castle in Kumamoto, Kyushu. Fantastic castle if you have the time. Mount Aso is nearby.

In the north part of Okayama, Kyoto, Shiga prefectures, along the coast, is a natural preserve called the San'in Geopark if you really love nature. Shiga prefecture also has a bunch of old castles and Lake Biwa, biggest lake in Japan.

You mentioned going to the Nagoya area. Don't forget to consider Inuyama castle, about 40 mins from the center of Nagoya by local train. Nice little gem of a castle, it's an original one, small and kind of spooky (to me at least). I liked it much better than most of the remade ones, like Osaka castle for example. You can also see Ogaki castle in Gifu prefecture on the same day, since it's not too far off. Might even hit up Gero onsen around there depending on time.

Hope these help!
by Heh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/2/26 22:56
Hi all, thanks for the reply.

Ah! The bunny island, can't believe i forgot. And i'll add Hiroshima to the list too, i'm interested to visit Miyajima and see the torii gate. I'll probably make it a day trip from Hiroshima. From where should i leave for Hiroshima so that i can save time?

This is the updated list. Is the route okay?
Tokyo ( Day trip to Nikko on 2nd day) (Kanto)
Hakone (To see Mt. Fuji) (Kanto)
Kyoto (Kansai)
Himeji (Kansai)
Nagoya (Takayama,Inuyama) (Chubu)
Kanazawa (Chubu)
Shikoku (Haven't decided which parts exactly)
Kyushu (Nagasaki - Fukuoka - Kunamoto - Mt Aso (depending on the volcano state)
Maybe Chugoku
Go back from Osaka or Tokyo

Is so many places difficult for a first-timer? I'm getting worried :(

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/2/27 01:36
It's a good list but somewhat ambitious for a 12-day trip.

I would put Nagoya before Kyoto if you're traveling by Shinkansen. Actually, if you're traveling from Tokyo, the Chubu locations should be put before Kyoto.

Are you planning to spend only one day in each location?

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/2/27 10:08
For 12 Days...
1. Tokyo
2. Nikko (DT)
3. Hakone (DT)
4. Tokyo to Kanazawa
5. Takayama (DT)
6. Kanazawa to Kyoto
7. Kyoto
8. Kyoto
9. Bunny Island, Miyajima
10. Morning in Hiroshima
11 and 12

I don't see how you can go to Kyushus with only 2 days left

Try entering Shikoku from Okayama side and exiting to Osaka side. Then fly out of Osaka.

2 Days in Shikoku.... Spend both days in one place.
Recommend Ehime prefecture, Takamamastu prefecture

DT=day trips. You could spend your nights in Tokyo
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/3/14 23:33
Hi everyone! I'd just like to gather feedback about this itinerary. Hope to hear from everyone soon :)

Day 1: Stay at Shinjuku
Day 2: Nikko
Day 3: Nikko
Day 4: Tokyo
Day 5: Tokyo
Day 6: Move to Hiroshima (Start JRP)
Day 7: Miyajima
Day 8: Move to Kyoto (Visit Himeji)
Day 9: Kyoto
Day 10:Kyoto
Day 11: Leave for Fuji five lakes (leave luggage at Kawaguchiko Stn) , leave for Tokyo in evening
Day 12: Take N'EX Limited Express to Narita Airport (Flight is at 6pm, so can still play around in the day)

Re: Female Solo Trip in Japan 2015/3/15 02:46
This seems as though it is reasonably doable. If you REALLY want to see Fuji - then you are visiting the right place.

My biggest suggestion is not to move around too much on your first trip. Give yourself time to enjoy where you are going and just enjoy being there.

I've noticed that you are visiting Nikko. The Shrines take around 1/2 a day to visit. If you get to Nikko early (say midday) then you can see the shrines on the first day.

This would allow you to walk the Marshland which is quite nice if that interests you. There is plenty of info on this on the JG website.

Also remember that you can book your JRP tickets at any stage - so if you are near a major station with time to kill I'd book reserve seating for your major trips such as Tokyo to Hiroshima on the first few days. You can book tickets before you have your JRP officially validated from memory.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread