Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japan 30+ day itinerary suggestions 2015/2/26 09:28
Hi all,
I'll be traveling to Japan this spring for somewhere around 34 days (flexible) and I've devised a rough itinerary that I would love some help with. I've got most of the places all worked out save 5 "open" days that I have yet to assign. The biggest thing I'd like some help with is streamlining the order I visit places and ensuring I'm not spending too much or too little anywhere. If I don't fill up the whole 5 days I'll just cut the trip short. Also any suggestions on additional stops or things to avoid would be great.

Here it is:
Day 0 � Tokyo � Arrive in the evening, check in to hotel grab food and sleep.
Day 1 � Tokyo � West Tokyo: Shabuya (Meiji shrine), Yoyogi Park, Omate-sando and Harajuku (Kiddie land toy store, zebra crossing, gadget shopping and bars)
Day 2 � Tokyo � Tsukiji fish market, Edo Tokyo Museum, Go out to bars?
Day 3 � Tokyo � Tokyo National Museum Ueno park,
Day 4 � Tokyo � Future Tokyo: Akibahara electric town, Odaiba Gundam Statue, rainbow bridge
Day 5 � Tokyo � Studio Ghibli, Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, Koishikawa Korakuen Garden & Park Hyatt LINT for drinks
Day 6 � Tokyo � Yokohama day trip?
Day 7 � Tokyo - Hakone � Hakone day trip Free Pass round trip?
Day 8 � Tokyo � Mitake day trip
Day 9 � Nikko � Okunikko hiking trail (links Ryuzu Waterfall to Yumoto Onsen via the Senjogahara Marsh)
Day 10 � Nikko � Hiking and Sightseeing
Day 11 � Tokyo �
Day 12 � Nagano � Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park, Shibu Onsen
Day 13 � Nagano � Cross country skiing
Day 14 � Nagano � Matsumoto Castle
Day 15 � Tokyo �
Day 16 � Shizuoka �
Day 17 � OPEN
Day 18 � OPEN
Day 19 � OPEN
Day 20 � OPEN
Day 21 � OPEN
Day 22 � Kyoto � Fushimi Inari Shrine
Day 23 � Kyoto � Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion)
Day 24 � Kyoto �
Day 25 � Kyoto �
Day 26 � Kyoto Mount Koya with overnight in a temple
Day 27 � Osaka � Himeji castle and Shinsekai, dotonbori (crazy neon area) at night
Day 28 � Osaka � Trip to Nara
Day 29 � Okayama � Trip to Naoshimi Art Island
Day 30 � Okayama � Korakuen garden and Okayama castle
Day 31 � Hiroshima � Hiroshima Peace memorial museum, Peace Park
Day 32 � Hiroshima � Miyajima: Itsukushima Shrine, Mount Misen and hiking trails
Day 33 � Tokyo � Leave Hiroshima for Tokyo
Day 34 - Tokyo � Whatever I missed and final shopping
Day 35 - Leave Tokyo to Vancouver
by Matt (guest)  

Re: Japan 30+ day itinerary suggestions 2015/2/26 13:17
From Matsumoto, I would suggest going to Takayama, Shirakawa-go, and Kanazawa before going to Kyoto. This is your extra five days. There is a bus from Matsumoto to Takayama (Nohi bus line). You could also go from Nagano to Toyama on the new shinkansen extension, and then travel by Limited Express train to Takayama.

I would put off going to Shizuoka until the end. I would also put Hiroshima and Miyajima Island between Kyoto and Osaka. This means that you will break the long ride from Hiroshima to Tokyo into two smaller ones, Hiroshima to Osaka, and then Osaka to Shizuoka (pick this back up here).
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 30+ day itinerary suggestions 2015/2/26 18:01
Thanks for the suggestions, here's what I've come up with based on your suggestion.

Day 0 – Tokyo – Arrive in the evening, check in to hotel grab food and sleep.
Day 1 – Tokyo – West Tokyo: Shabuya (Meiji shrine), Yoyogi Park, Omate-sando and Harajuku (Kiddie land toy store, zebra crossing, gadget shopping and bars)
Day 2 – Tokyo – Tsukiji fish market, Edo Tokyo Museum, Go out to bars?
Day 3 – Tokyo – Tokyo National Museum Ueno park, Sightseeing around the city
Day 4 – Tokyo – Future Tokyo: Akibahara electric town, Odaiba Gundam Statue, rainbow bridge
Day 5 – Tokyo – Studio Ghibli, Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building, Koishikawa Korakuen Garden & Park Hyatt LINT for drinks
Day 6 – Tokyo – Yokohama day trip?
Day 7 – Tokyo - Hakone – Hakone day trip Free Pass round trip?
Day 8 – Tokyo – Mitake day trip
Day 9 – Nikko – Okunikko hiking trail (links Ryuzu Waterfall to Yumoto Onsen via the Senjogahara Marsh)
Day 10 – Nikko – Hiking and Sightseeing
Day 11 – Tokyo – Sightseeing around the city
Day 12 – Nagano – Jigokudani Snow Monkey Park, Shibu Onsen
Day 13 – Nagano – Cross country skiing
Day 14 – Nagano – Matsumoto Castle then leave for Tokyo
Day 15 – Tokyo – Sightseeing around the city then leave for Nagoya
Day 16 – Nagoya – Sightseeing around the city then leave for Takayama
Day 17 – Takayama – Hiking, Old Town, Hida Folk Village
Day 18 – Kanazawa – Kenrokuen Garden
Day 19 – Kyoto – Fushimi Inari Shrine, International Manga Museum
Day 20 – Kyoto – Kinkakuji (Golden Pavilion)
Day 21 – Kyoto – Sightseeing around the city
Day 22 – Kyoto – Sightseeing around the city
Day 23 – Kyoto Mount Koya with overnight in a temple
Day 24 – Hiroshima – Hiroshima Peace memorial museum, Peace Park
Day 25 – Hiroshima – Miyajima: Itsukushima Shrine, Mount Misen and hiking trails
Day 26 – Osaka – Himeji castle and Shinsekai, dotonbori (crazy neon area) at night
Day 27 – Osaka – Trip to Nara
Day 28 – Okayama – Trip to Naoshimi Art Island
Day 29 – Okayama – Korakuen garden and Okayama castle
Day 30 – Shizuoka – Hiking, Mt. Akaishi
Day 31 – Tokyo – Leave Hiroshima for Tokyo
Day 32 - Tokyo – Whatever I missed and final shopping
Day 33 - Leave Tokyo to Vancouver

Hows it look?
by Matt (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 30+ day itinerary suggestions 2015/2/28 04:23
OK, it looks like you are now planning to go to Nagano and then come back to Tokyo. That's reasonable.

I am also guessing that adding Nayoga was because the Takayama-Hokuriju Tourist Pass can start in Nagoya. That is also a resonable thing to do.

The plan looks pretty good.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 30+ day itinerary suggestions 2015/2/28 11:53
Odaiba has a science museum that might interest you if into technology.

Or maybe to one of the various JAXA bases?

I would suggest to have 2 days in Kanazawa and to remove a day from Nagoya. But its your plan...

For Kyoto, it is a small city with attractions no more than an hour from each other, unless going up a mountain. You won't need to worry about transport.

Day 1 Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Ninnanji, ending with Toei movie or Myoshinji.

Day 2 Fushimi Inari, Tokufuji,
Whole day in Uji
Return after sunset to Fushimi inari, the day/night contrasts is worth the trip.

Day 3
Arashiyama Day
I personally find Tenryuji Temple and the Bamboo grove the highlights (3 hours max) but exploring each and every corner might give you a hidden gem.
Eating lunch at one of the Yudofu (Kyoto Tofu) places around the JR Station or eating Shoryori (monk's cuisine) at Tenryuji's garden's restaurant is something unique.

Since you should be staying at a temple lodge at Koya, you can skip the Tenryuji restaurant. (Restaurant is upscale compared to Koya, so you might still want to give it a try if time and budget permits.)

Day 4
To be spent walking from Silver Pavilion to Kiyomizudera via Nanzenji through the Philosopher's path. Don't forget to give Honen-in and Heian Shrine a visit.
If time permits, walking along the Kamo River from Demachiyanagi station to Gion works fine too.
End your day at Gion/Potoncho/Teramachi Dori. These are shopping and food districts that come alive at night.

Kyoto has many other attractions
Imperial Palace
Imperial villa
... Garden
Use other days to pick and choose

If all else fails, there is always Nara and Ise... Even Osaka to spend your time.

For me personally: the three Mystical K of Japan are Kyoto, Kanazawa, Koya
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 30+ day itinerary suggestions 2015/2/28 12:54
i want to ask, how much the price of Shoryori (monk's cuisine)? and is the sagano scenic train worthed for money n time?
by haha (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japan 30+ day itinerary suggestions 2015/2/28 17:24
If you are only going to Kyoto city, Sagano rail way going through mountains and with a river below is pretty nice. But looking at the trip, there are a number of other scenic nature places you are going. They may not have both river and mountain, but the scenery is a level higher.

If you however, are into trains then it might be pleasing, especially if you have the time to do so.

The monk cuisine at Tenryuji and the ingredients used are seasonal. I was there are early winter and there was only two sets. 3,000 + and 5,000 + yen. Note that this is considered upscale and the meals at Koya would not be as exquisite. Not to mean it is not good.
E.g. Chiraishi Don is more expensive than Soba, but Soba is not NOT delicious.
(At least the soba in the Takayama/Shirakawago region. To me, everywhere else's soba is bad or very bad.)
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread