Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone Free Pass 2015/2/26 20:18
I was wondering whether a 2 day Hakone Free Pass (4000 yen) purchased inside the free area (e.g. Odawara Station) will also cover a trip back to Tokyo on the Shinkansen?

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html

We will get a 7 day Japan Rail Pass however it will run out on the 1st day at Hakone so won't cover the trip back to Shinjuku. We will be coming from Kyoto on the 1st day, visiting somewhere around Mt Fuji 5th station then going on to Gora in the Hakone area to stay overnight. Any advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated.
by FourCanals  

Re: Hakone Free Pass 2015/2/27 11:46
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2358_008.html
No. it will not cover transport back to Tokyo if you buy it in Odawara..
If you are staying in Shinjuku then it would seem better to pay for the ticket from Odawara to Shinjuku on Odakyu railways, rather than using a Shinkansen.

S
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Free Pass 2015/2/27 16:35
I had the same question as you! I'm in your identical situation. Leaving Kyoto to Odawara, and then Hakone 2 days before Hakone to Tokyo.

Odakyu Sightseeing Service representative did confirm when I asked - the pass if purchased in Odakyu does not cover the return trip.

However, he provided a breakdown for me. I'm copying his email below:

"Since you don't need train tickets from shinjuku to odawara, I recommend you to buy the 2-days Hakone Local Freepass. This Local freepass covers only transportations between Odawara station and Hakone area, and it costs 4000 yen/ 1 adult.

For the trip back from Hakone Yumoto station to Shinjuku, you have to buy the regular train ticket Between Odawara and Shinjuku and plus Romance Car ticket. These will cost you 880 yen + 890 yen = 1770 yen. Therefore, you will have to pay 4000+1770= 5770 yen/1 adult.

So if you're thinking of taking the RomanceCar back, you'd only pay Y5770. If you're taking the normal trains back, then deduct 890 from the romance car ticket cost, and you'd pay Y4880, which is still cheaper than the pass if you purchase from Shinjuku.

This is only cheaper assuming you don't nede to travel FROM shinjuku.

Hope that helps!
by BloodPrincess rate this post as useful

reply to this thread