Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Overground rail lines in Tokyo 2015/2/26 22:24
I'm looking to find which lines (JR or otherwise) run overground, and more specifically which lines run through Tokyo areas of visual interest, for the purpose of taking photos in transit. Any overground transport mode can do (besides car).

Not looking for touristy type of areas specifically but more like typical Tokyo cityscapes.

Thanks anyone for any tips.
by Gio1  

Re: Overground rail lines in Tokyo 2015/2/27 11:56
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3011.html
The second photo is fairly iconic, so Shinjuku.

Also if you do the 1 hour Sky Bus narrated tour ( worth it)
http://skybus.jp/t01.php?lang=en
you actually go under the lowest elevated railway track bridge in Tokyo.

Good luck!

by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Overground rail lines in Tokyo 2015/2/27 12:13
All JR lines are above ground while most others are subterranean for the exception of some Keio, Keikyu, and the Yurikamome and Monorail.

Views from trains aren't all that glamorous. But there are some times when you can see a few nice things.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Overground rail lines in Tokyo 2015/2/27 12:36
Thanks for the info.

Looks like the Yamanote line may be a good place to start being that it circles around.
by Gio1 rate this post as useful

Re: Overground rail lines in Tokyo 2015/2/27 12:59
If you're looking to take photos from inside the train, you'll be somewhat disappointed; there isn't that much to see and the reaction time is minimal. However, if you like to take photos of rail transport, take the last car of the Yamanote on the counterclockwise direction, from Shinagawa to Tokyo and stop off at Shimbashi. The shinkansen lines run parallel to the local lines but elevated so you can catch both local and shinkansen trains on the same shot at different altitudes. It's a nice composition.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Overground rail lines in Tokyo 2015/2/27 13:29
Look through these 12 or more galleries. If you see any photo that interests you let me know and I'll explain where it is and how to get there. The Tokyu, Keio, Odakyu and Seibu railways run through the western suburbs.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Overground rail lines in Tokyo 2015/2/27 13:30
It might be more helpful if I gave you the link. :)
http://dickh.zenfolio.com/f683105925
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Overground rail lines in Tokyo 2015/2/27 14:06
taking photos in transit
OOPS: Ifm sorry: I misread your original post: my bad....
by AusTF rate this post as useful

Re: Overground rail lines in Tokyo 2015/2/27 15:14
Railroads are increasingly being changed to underground, especially in central Tokyo.

However, most lines run go up and down overground and underground especially in the suburbs.

If you're looking for non-touristical views, you might enjoy the Keikyu Line which has a tradition of running through the "commoners" area. You will see what I mean once you ride it north to south along the extremely lengthly network.

One of the major lines that can still be interesting is the JR Chuo Line as it runs across the very center of Tokyo, the suburbs as well as the countryside.

But yes, the Yamanote Line is indeed a good place to start, because it's relatively shorter and you can automatically come back.

You can also Google Street View to get a big picture of where railways run overground and what views you can enjoy there. And when riding the trains, be sure you avoid rush hour so that you can get a good spot near the window, or even near the driver's seat.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread