Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Animals in Kansai 2015/2/27 18:56
I'll be in the Kansai region (Kobe, Kyoto, Osaka and Nara) for a few days in April and am looking for suggestions for places to see cool animals, preferably in nature parks where I can interact with them as opposed to zoos. I've been to the Nara deer park several times and last winter I went to Kishi, Wakayama to see Tama the station master cat. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!
by jennjett  

Re: Animals in Kansai 2015/2/27 21:45
It's a little further than Kobe but doable as a day trip... why not go to Okunoshima, the rabbit island?

http://www.japanvisitor.com/japan-city-guides/okunoshima

In Kyoto you also have the Iwatayama Monkey Park in Arashiyama.
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Animals in Kansai 2015/2/27 23:47
I want to see Okunoshima at some point, but unfortunately Hiroshima is too far and expensive for me to get to from Kansai!
by jennjett rate this post as useful

Re: Animals in Kansai 2015/2/28 06:14
It's a little out of Kansai but there is an awesome squirrel park at Takayama. They end up running all over you.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Animals in Kansai 2015/2/28 11:56
You can get a Sanyo Pass, makes Hiroshima accessible.
Miyajima has deer that are far more friendly than Nara

Mt Koya has animals roaming about.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Animals in Kansai 2015/2/28 21:06
The squirrel park in Takayama has been on my to-do list for a while, thanks for reminding me! Unfortunately I'm unable to get a Sanyo pass as I live here, so no cheap travel for me!
by jennjett rate this post as useful

Re: Animals in Kansai 2015/3/1 05:15
Cheers. If you have a list put Enoshima on it. First there are the multitude of mangey cats, but what is really awesome is the flocks of hawks. There can be maybe 30 of them wheeling around in the sky as you walk across the bridge, they swoop down pretty low (apparently they can go for you if you have food). I'd never seen anything like it.

And you see them from all over the island.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread