Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Volunteering in Japan 2015/3/2 13:04
I am here on a Spouse Visa and applying for work.

I would like to take the opportunity to do voluntary work while waiting for formal employment.

I sent my application to few charities but they only want Japanese speaking staff.
Do you know any English speaking organization where I can apply?

Except TELL...

Thank you
by John (guest)  

Re: Volunteering in Japan 2015/3/2 14:39
Where will you be? If you reach out to the local ALT/English teacher communities, you can often find volunteering opportunities with them. My local area has a group that went regularly to Ichinoseki to help with the tsunami clean up (maybe they still do, I'm not sure). Some people volunteer regularly teaching special needs classes on Saturdays, and I've seen lots of invites for other stuff as well. Or if you are in an area that doesn't have much of a community, get in contact with others and plan your own!
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Volunteering in Japan 2015/3/2 15:53
Thanks Scaredragon.
Ideally would be the Saitama area but not that I mind too much as far as transport is handy.

I don't hang around gaijins but if you could give me some directions will be pleased.

Thanks
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Volunteering in Japan 2015/3/2 20:14
I'm in Gunma, and the Gunma JETs are pretty active. You can find a group on facebook with updates. Also heard that Tochigi ALTs are pretty active in the community too.

But for the most part if you're wanting English-speaking volunteer opportunities you're going to be with "gaijins" so... don't know what to tell you.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Volunteering in Japan 2015/3/2 21:29
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Volunteering in Japan 2015/3/2 23:52
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Volunteering in Japan 2015/3/2 23:54
I sent my application to few charities but they only want Japanese speaking staff.

How about you learn Japanese? You know, since you'll be living in Japan and all...
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Volunteering in Japan 2015/3/3 10:09
Dear Firas
I am studying Japanese and my wife is Japanese.
What I mean is that they want FLUENT Japanese speakers with reading and writing skills.
As with my wife I speak English as she grew up in England so I don't have many opportunities to practice the language. This is also one of the reasons I want to do voluntary work but as a Japan expert you should know that it takes very long to acquire Japanese proficiency and I have been in Japan for 3 months only.
Therefore a bilingual institution would be ideal.
Thank you
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread