Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

2-3 days in Japan Alps 2015/3/2 14:01
We are 2 adults and 2 teenagers travelling in late September, mainly staying in Tokyo (with sidetrips) and Kyoto.

We have 3 days (2 nights) between Kyoto and returning to Tokyo and are thinking of the Japan Alps area. Matsumoto looks like a good base but where else can we get to from there by trains and buses for scenery, a bit of walking, ropeway, etc?

Would another town be a better base?

Many thanks!
by Sydney family (guest)  

Re: 2-3 days in Japan Alps 2015/3/2 14:52
Matsumoto is a little (ahem) boring although they had a festival of sorts on one night we were there and it was unusually lively. The castle is really nice, but there isn't much else to do there.

If I had 3 nights in the Alps, I'd spend one in Karuizawa (Tsuruya Ryokan - awesome!), on at Kamikouchi (Onsen hotel - awesome!), and maybe one at Matsumoto (Richmond is handy to everything and quite nice, Buena Vista is very classy on the exec levels and try the French restaurant on the top).

Bessho Onsen looks nice too but I haven't been there yet - ask me again in 2 months...
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2-3 days in Japan Alps 2015/3/2 14:54
Sorry, re-reading your post and seeing you are coming from Kyoto, I'd probably do this - day 1 - Nagiso area (eg Tsumago) or Matsumoto. Day 2 Kamikouchi. Day 3 Karuizawa. That way by the 4th day you are on the shinkansen line for a 1 hour run to Tokyo.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2-3 days in Japan Alps 2015/3/2 19:19
Thanks, I'll have a look at Karuizawa. We only have 2 nights unfortunately!
by Sydney family (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread