Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Pass Valid Time 2015/3/3 22:35
Hi, I've purchased a 7-day JR pass which I'm going to use it from 9 March to 15 March but I'm only going to use it in the morning (15 March) 8am to Narita Airport.

I want to know the valid time, is it ok to activate the card on 8 March 12noon instead so it lasts until 15 March 12 noon which that would be the exact 7 days time? Or it only counts in daily basis even if I start to use it at 11pm at night?
by inspchin  

Re: JR Pass Valid Time 2015/3/4 09:09
Unfortunately the pass ticks down in terms of whole days, not accounting for time - so even if you start using it at 11 PM you'll lose one full day already.

More below:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

"Validity: Calendar Days or 24-Hour Periods?

The validity period of the Japan Rail Pass is based on calendar days (midnight to midnight) rather than 24 hour periods. For example: when starting to use a 7-day pass at noon on day 1, it will expire at midnight at the end of day 7 rather than at noon of day 8."

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass Valid Time 2015/3/4 10:41
Hi, I've purchased a 7-day JR pass which I'm going to use it from 9 March to 15 March but I'm only going to use it in the morning (15 March) 8am to Narita Airport

Doesn't matter for the time. They count it from 0000 to 2359 as 1 day. So if you active from say 2000, the first day used is still going to end at 2359.

But if your going to active on the Mar 9 then it should be fine.

Mar
09-Day 1 Start date
10-Day 2
11-Day 3
12-Day 4
13-Day 5
14-Day 6
15-Day 7 Ends at 2359

Hope this helps!!!
Havefun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass Valid Time 2015/3/4 18:25
Thanks you both!

Since I'm going to take the train on 9-March early morning. Do you think I can activate the JR pass before like 8-March or even 7-March when I arrived at the airport and ask them to activate it on 9-March instead of the date?

Is this possible?

Thanks a lot!!
by inspchin rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass Valid Time 2015/3/4 20:00
Oh yes, that's entirely possible - I've done that myself. And for your peace of mind:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

When you exchange your voucher to the actual pass, you do not need to start using the pass from the same date. You can select any date within a one month period as your starting date. However, once the actual pass is issued, the starting date cannot be changed.

Just keep that last sentence in mind: once you've selected a date, you can't change it anymore.

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass Valid Time 2015/3/4 20:14
Lifesaver!! Thanks a lot!! Can't wait to go to Japan now! Thanks to you all!!
by inspchin rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass Valid Time 2015/3/4 21:00
You do not need to activate the card on the purchase date, just specify the date you want to use the card from and it will end on the 7th day mid night.
Just like a earlier post has mention, you want to activate the card on the 9th and it will end on the 15th.

Valid 9th 0000 to 15th 2359 japan time.
by kms899 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR Pass Valid Time 2015/3/4 22:12
Maybe no worry but check again exchange office open/close time.
http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en009.html
by Zc (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread