Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Drop off a rental car in Tokyo 2015/3/7 21:31
Three of us are visiting Japan in July for three weeks. As part of the trip we would like to rent a car in Nagoya and drive north to the Alps and also visit Takayama and Kanazawa. This would seem to give us more flexibilty for this part of the trip and will be a particular help because two of the party aren't keen on Japanese food.

As we then need to head to Tokyo for our departure, my question which will be best. Return the car to Nagoya and get the train or return the rental car to Tokyo?. The question really resolves around how easy it will be to find the rental office in Tokyo and also traffic conditions.

Any other comments on driving in this area are welcome.
by iso2000  

Re: Drop off a rental car in Tokyo 2015/3/7 23:38
I suggest finding an office that is outside Tokyo (maybe in Saitama for example), then taking the train into Tokyo proper. Driving in Tokyo can be a nightmare, and the train is usually fast and easy comparatively. I don't think you need to go all the way back to Nagoya.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Drop off a rental car in Tokyo 2015/3/8 00:09
I just came back from Japan. I rented a car from Fukushima and returned it at Shimbashi, Tokyo. And unless if it is absolutely necessary, I will never ever drive in Tokyo again for my future trips. It was nothing but total frustration. Slow traffic, heavy congestion, endless traffic lights, and complex roads.

I would take a train to tokyo. You can return a car at takayama or Kanazawa. Usually there are brand name rental car branches nearby major JR station.
by Sitti01 rate this post as useful

Re: Drop off a rental car in Tokyo 2015/3/8 00:31
The new Shinkansen (bullet train) will start running on March 15. It will take only 2-1/2 hours from Kanazawa to Tokyo, then one more hour out to Narita.
Seats on the right side will give you views of the Alps.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Drop off a rental car in Tokyo 2015/3/11 06:23
Many thanks for the replies, will definitely avoid Tokyo.
by iso2000 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread