Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

shirakawago vs. gokayama 2015/3/20 11:27
Hi I am planning to visit shirawakago and maybe stay one night there. It seems like both shirakawago and gokayama are quite similar. Is it worth the effort to travel down to gokayama since I will have both old and young travelling? thanks
by Vicky (guest)  

Re: shirakawago vs. gokayama 2015/3/20 11:39
I know of many people who prefer Gokayama over Shirakawago because it is more remote and slightly less touristy.

I personally don't agree. I find Shirakawago way more interesting than Gokayama. The houses in Shirakawago are more numerous, larger and more accessible. There is much more to do in Shirakawago than in Gokayama.

All the towns can get busy during daytime. That is why I recommend to stay overnight and enjoy calm walks through the village in the evening and/or morning. Again, for the purpose I find Shirakawago most attractive because the village is the largest and offers nice walking routes in between rice fields and farm houses.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: shirakawago vs. gokayama 2015/3/20 22:04
Gokayama is actually 2 separate places, Suganuma and Ainokura. My favorite place was Ainokura. I found it more atmospheric and perhaps I was just lucky, but there were few people there when I visited, so I was able to enjoy it as my own. I may also have liked it best because I went there first. It has a nice viewpoint and some good photo points if you walk around.

Although I liked Ainokura better than Ogimachi (Shirakawa-go), if you are travelling with a mixed group, it may be easier to visit Ogimachi. There are more places to enter, more shopping, and more eating options so I think it'd be easier to accommodate and adjust to the needs of your group.

Ogimachi is nice and scenic, though. It's just a lot more crowded.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Shirakawago vs. gokayama 2015/8/28 21:01
Hi,
I have read the earlier thread on the discussion between Shirakawago vs Gokayama.

From the thread, it seems that Shirakawago may be more interesting for first-timers to stay for a night. Can I check whether it is still worth to make a short trip to Gokayama while staying overnight in Shirakawago since the ride is only half an hour.

I am planning to head for Shirakawago from Takayama in the morning, leave my bag in the minshuku and head for Gokayama. Then head back to Shirakawago in the late afternoon to explore the area because I think spending an entire day and the next morning in Shirakawago may be too long.

Would appreciate any comment. Was wondering it is worthwhile a trip to both sides or are they more or less the same.

Thank you.
by DL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: shirakawago vs. gokayama 2015/9/6 18:27
Hi, me too, as DL, I'd like to visit Ogimachi in the morning and Gokayama in the afternoon.
Lots of people on Tripadvisor ara saying that you can see Ogimachi in 1 or 2 hours, is it true?
This can leave me plenty of time to spend in one of the two Gokayama villages. Which one is better in your opinion, Suganuma or Ainokura? Thanks!
by cochese rate this post as useful

Re: shirakawago vs. gokayama 2015/9/6 20:44
Ainokura was my favorite even over Ogimachi, so I would recommended it over Suganuma.

As far as time needed in Ogimachi, it depends on how many buildings you want to enter, if you visit the onen, etc. Two hours is probably enough for a lot of people.
I recommend the Zin Homura Art Museum. I enjoyed the modern art in the traditional building.

Here are all of Ogimachi's attractions
http://shirakawa-go.org/en/sightseeing/110/
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread