Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Name not the same on degree 2015/3/26 01:21
Hello there,

I'm looking to change my first name, but I was informed by the University I graduated from that I will not be able to change the name on the degree.
I read from a few places that as long as you provide documentation that shows your name change along with your degree that there won't be any problems in terms of finding employment.
However, I plan to move to Japan around the end of this year seeking a teaching job and was wondering if my name being different on the degree would cause any problems despite providing documentation proving the name change.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

John
by John (guest)  

Re: Name not the same on degree 2015/3/26 19:00
Having different given name(first name) is very rare case in Japan(surname change can be seen often by adoptions).
I think you will be suffered in difficulties unless you know the recruiter previously.
I recommend you to change your name after you got a new job.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Name not the same on degree 2015/3/27 05:46
Thank you for your reply. If I wish to take off my first name and just use my second name (which is also on the degree) do you think that will lessen the confusion?

John
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Name not the same on degree 2015/3/27 10:00
No, it'll actually cause even more confusion.

Whatever name you give to immigration is important. Let's say you give First, Middle and Last name to immigration. All documentation will have to have the exact same name. Birth certificate, diploma, etc.

Once you receive your visa, your name will be listed slightly different. In Japan, your name will most likely be listed as Last, First, Middle. From this point on, whenever you open a bank account, buy a cellphone or apply for a credit card, you will have to list your name as it's listed on your resident/visa card. in these cases, any deviation in your name--even slightly--will cause you huge problems.

I suppose if you are dead set on changing your first name, I would do it after you come to Japan and all the necessary accounts are opened, etc.
by Taipan1975 rate this post as useful

Re: Name not the same on degree 2015/3/27 10:20
When you speak of "changing your name", will it be changed on your passport as well? Basically, the name on your passport is the only one that matters: your official name in Japan will be a katakana-ized version of whatever is written in the "name" field of your passport*.

I'm also not sure whether the name on your degree needs to be an exact match. Mine isn't (the name on my degrees does not include my middle name) and although I haven't applied for a "work visa" (yet?), I'm pretty sure that virtually every French person is in the same situation, and of course many have obtained one.

* Even if it's not actually your name! http://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2014/09/08/issues/mind-geb-littl...
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Name not the same on degree 2015/3/27 10:43
Oh, and by the way, for whatever it may be worth, the fact that the name written on my degrees does not include my middle name was no problem when I applied for (and obtained) a Japanese government scholarship, nor for the admission process at my Japanese university.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Name not the same on degree 2015/3/27 19:29
Yes the idea was to change everything, including the name on my passport, however it is only the name on my degree that cannot be changed. I originally wanted to change the first name entirely, but using my middle name as my first name is also something I'm willing to do.

I find it strange that there'll be that much confusion, seeing as that here in England not every account, address etc that has my name on it includes my full name (usually excludes the middle one).
by John (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread