Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

My itinerary for 3 weeks in Japan: any good? 2015/3/27 04:23
Hello everybody,
I would appreciate a lot if you could comment on my itinerary for almost 3 weeks trip in Japan. Im planning to purchase a JR pass. Would you suggest doing that with such plan (both time wise and cost wise)?
Here are the days and cities:
14-16 Tokyo
16-18 Fujikawaguchiko
18-21 Kyoto
21-23 Osaka
23-25 Hiroshima
25-27 Beppu
27-30 Tokyo

Thank you so much for any help!
by Kristina (guest)  

Re: My itinerary for 3 weeks in Japan: any good? 2015/3/27 13:22
Beppu-Tokyo 7+hrs! Consider going to Osaka after Beppu. 2-3 hrs back to Tokyo.
by japandunce (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary for 3 weeks in Japan: any good? 2015/3/27 14:45
I wont say its any bad.
I think you could shift one day each from Osaka and Hiroshima to Kyoto and Tokyo.

I believe you are taking the Beppu-Hiroshima Ferry?

Have you decided on your hotels yet? Suginoi in Beppu is awesome.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary for 3 weeks in Japan: any good? 2015/3/27 14:59
thanks! I have actually not decided yet how to reach Beppu. you'd say ferry would be the best? how long does it take? since I have such limited time for each destination I am looking for the fastest way to get from place to place. Also, does JR pass work from Beppu to Tokyo in an easy way?
by Kristina (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary for 3 weeks in Japan: any good? 2015/3/27 17:07
I personally disagree about taking time off Hiroshima if you also intend to visit Miyajima. We stayed 2 nights in Miyajima with the first and last days being half days and also visited Hiroshima during this time and felt that we would have liked more time to explore. I'm not a fan of Osaka (I like places with more of a small town feel) so would agree with adding that to Kyoto. As most of Osaka's attractions are also open at night, you could use your day's in Kyoto (as the two cities are so close) and nights in Osaka. It all depends on what you like though because I'm big on temples, gardens, historical districts.
by Chasingme (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary for 3 weeks in Japan: any good? 2015/3/27 17:50
I agree with going to Osaka after Beppu. You may stay two nights in Beppu and 1 night in Yufuin or Kurokawa.
by mijiro rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary for 3 weeks in Japan: any good? 2015/3/27 18:22
Actually train is faster if Beppu to Hiroshima. Super sonic train (not the cartoon) to either the second last or last stop. Both stops can take bullet trains to Hiroshima. Advantage of getting off at the last stop (Hakata) though is that it is the first station of some trains going to Hiroshima.

However, trains being trains are expensive! So getting on a highway bus that boards the ferry as it rides you to Hiroshima might be a nice change of pace. Especially, if you want to see some water.

Though, truth be told I find going to Hiroshima from Kyoto to be pretty out of the way and getting to Beppu even more out of the way.

I would go to a onsen town nearer to Kyoto like Kinosaki onsen, Shirahama, Arima, Katsura.

Probably Kinosaki or Katsura as 3 weeks in Japan gives some time to explore some out of the way onsens. Beppu being on a whole different island, I would do when exploring Kyushu.

Which I did do on Jan 1 this year and Beppy was great! Though, with so many excellent onsen choices nearby why go all the way to Beppy?

P.S.
Kyushu is the boss of onsens. 9 onsens in that small piece of island.
Miyazaki onsen
Takachiho onsen
Ibusuki Onsen
Beppu onsen
Yufuin Onsen
Kurokawa onsen
Kumamoto onsen
Aso Onsen
Kirishima onsen
Kagoshima onsen
Sakurajima onsen

That is more than 9. Can't remember exactly which 9 is the famous one... nevermind... they are all onsens

Last but not least...
One of Japan top 3 beauty onsen with one of the highest volume of local tourist...
Saga Ureshino onsen

So please, do you Kyushu onsen hopping some other time... I skip beppu this time.

Re: My itinerary for 3 weeks in Japan: any good? 2015/3/27 18:28
P.S. that is not actually 3 weeks. More like 2.5 weeks.

You are spending much time in Tokyo. Like a week! A quarter of your time in Tokyo. Don't lock yourself up in that city!

At least tell me you are going to Nikko or Kamakura or Karuizawa or Nagano!

Re: My itinerary for 3 weeks in Japan: any good? 2015/3/30 02:16
Wow, thanks!
The thing is that I have been studying in Beppu, thats why i wanna come back there. Though I have never tried reaching Tokyo from Beppu so I'm not sure about the best way. From your posts I see it should be train. Is there a convenient way to use JR pass for Beppu-Tokyo route that would not require much time than regularly?
And from Hiroshima to Beppu you say its better to use ferry? Is it quicker also?
Regarding Tokyo, Joshua Hugh, which one of your mentioned ones is the best? Nikko or Kamakura or Karuizawa or Nagano?
Thanks!

Re: My itinerary for 3 weeks in Japan: any good? 2015/3/30 04:41
Beppu-Tokyo is a long-ish day, but not too terrible. The local train to Kokoura isn't too long, then it's comfortable shinkansen all the way north.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary for 3 weeks in Japan: any good? 2015/3/30 06:25
You can use a 14-day JR Pass if you make Tokyo 14-17 and 28-30. That will allow you to go back to Narita using the pass. Have it start on 17.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: My itinerary for 3 weeks in Japan: any good? 2015/4/1 03:58
Thanks everybody!
Ok, so I see that Beppu-Tokyo takes local train to Kokoura and then shinkansen all the way north.
What about Hiroshima-Beppu? You were mentioning both, train and ferry, which at the end is faster and more comfy?
Im a bit scared to get lost with the trains and the variety of traveling options :))

reply to this thread