Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

No meat please, but seafood is ok 2015/4/6 03:49
Hi
I am not vegetarian. Just do not eat meat, but seafood is fine. Cheese and eggs are ok too. How do I write it down to show the restaurants? Thanks for any help! ':)
Miss Plant
by Miss Plant (guest)  

Re: No meat please, but seafood is ok 2015/4/6 13:56
お肉の入っていないメニューをおしえてください。
"Oniku no haite inai menu wo oshiete kudasai"
Please tell me menu which does not contain meats.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: No meat please, but seafood is ok 2015/4/6 14:28
You can point to the menu item you want and ask the waiter `kore wa niku nuki onegashimasu? Watashi wa bejetarian desu` which means `is this without meat? I am vegetarian`. Personally I advise you not to ask because they may misunderstand what you can/cannot eat. It's a lot easier just to add `niku nuki onegashimasu` (without meat, please) onto the end of your order which makes it clear you don't want your dish to contain meat. If they look confused just explain 'bejetarian desu'. If it has bacon you will need to specify `bacon nuki onegashimasu` because many restaurants don`t consider bacon to be meat. And finally for seafood, you can say `sakana wa daijobu desu` which means `fish is okay`.
by JennJett (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: No meat please, but seafood is ok 2015/4/6 17:52
Wait! Japanese waiter,waitress or staff knows such simple words no worry :)

If really want to
"niku ryori ga dame nanode, osusume wo oshiete kudasai masenka." is formal/smart.
: 肉料理がダメなので、お勧めを教えて下さいませんか。
(I can't eat meat, pls tell me recommends.)

or
"kono menu ni, nikuwa tsukawarete imasuka?"
: このメニューに、肉は使われていますか? is simple/casual/usual.
(Is this/that menu include meat?)

Print out or copy to yr cellphone/PC and showing enough.

similar words(V) of "dame(No!)"
nigate[苦手/にがて] : not good at/no good/not like
kirai[嫌い/きらい] : hate/dislike
muri[無理/むり] : cannot/impossible
dekinai[出来ない/できない] : cannot do/won't be
mou takusan[もう沢山/もうたくさん] : enough!/I'm full aleady
by Mina (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: No meat please, but seafood is ok 2015/4/6 19:00
Thank you so much everyone! :D
by Miss Plant (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: No meat please, but seafood is ok 2015/4/6 21:57
Excuse me, but "Niku nuki onegaishimasu" is more like sayig "Please prepare (THIS dish I'm pointing at) minus the meat," and it assumes that THAT dish you are pointing to can be made without meat.

Other phrases suggested, asking simpler questions, no assumptions, would be easier on the restaurant staff :)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: No meat please, but seafood is ok 2015/4/7 11:41
I agree with the last poster. "Niku nuki" (meat subtracted) is definitely asking for a special arrangement.

The most clarified and easiest way to ask is the first phrase given by Tokyo Friend. You can just write it down and show it to the waiter if it's difficult to pronounce.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread