Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiroshima on the 70th 2015/4/13 14:03
みんなさん こんにちは、

I will be in Hiroshima August 5th -9th. I have my hotel reservation and I know someone who lives there. I am from Texas so I am aware of the heat there that time of year.

My question is, being an "amerikajin", would anybody have any advice? I would, obviously, never wear anything symbolizing America and especially American military. I am a very quiet and low key person and will most certainly be respectful.

Thanks for reading.

リック
by takajou2112  

Re: Hiroshima on the 70th 2015/4/13 16:48
I have been to Hiroshima four times in as many years and have seen many foreigners there all the times of the year that I've been there. No matter if you dress conservatively or not, most locals will categorize you as an English-speaker-and that's not all bad though. I've seen Americans that stick out like a sore thumb here in Japan and also in Spain, and mostly it's the clothing that differentiates Americans and Europeans. But I have a feeling you aren't speaking about what to wear as much as how people may feel about where you're from, am I right?

As I've mentioned, Hiroshima is a prime tourist destination and people from all over the world go there, so you not be alone, especially on such a solemn time. There will be many dignitaries and press from all over the world, along with many tourists to see the commemoration, so I wouldn't worry about anything. You are not to blame form what happened two generations ago.

I am sure there will be some protesters who will try to have their say about nuclear power and nuclear weapons, but the police there have had many years of practice to keep that away from the areas where the ceremonies will occur.

As you are soft-spoken, as you say, I don't think there should be anything you should do that you wouldn't do while you're there on any other occasion: respect for others, follow the rules, don't go looking for trouble, etc.

It will be a solemn time for all present and that may be a way to bond with many people there. Don't be afraid to say you're American if asked, but I would advise you to keep any curiosity about what locals may think to a discreet minimum unless they are the ones who initiate the discussion. Politics and religion aren't openly discussed and this may fall into the 'politics' portion of the "don't do" things.

If it weren't for the fact that I hate hot weather and Japan's summers are terrible for me, I'd be interested in visiting Hiroshima during that time. The summers I spent in northern Tohoku were bad enough!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima on the 70th 2015/4/13 16:52
I must apologize for the spelling as my tablet computer decides to change words and spellings at will....

Re: Hiroshima on the 70th 2015/4/13 17:17
They are quite used to seeing Americans there as it's located close to the Iwakuni Marine Corps Air Base
by sumisu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima on the 70th 2015/4/13 17:56
Yes, you can definitely hear the jets while you're in Miyajima, even closer yet to Iwakuni MCAS.

reply to this thread