Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Having a Kanji name? 2015/4/27 07:40
Are you allowed to give yourself a Kanji name when applying for things in general (jobs, utilities, etc) or do you have to use the name on your passport? Would it be weird if you introduced yourself with a Kanji name when meeting people?

( I found a site that basically translates your name from English to the Kanji/Hirigana/Katakana version\s)

My reasoning for this is that I have a Muslim name (Hassan) and atm due to the scum ISIS, I heard that you will have a hard time in Japan if you are known as Muslim, specially when trying to get a job since people will be scared or just don't like Muslims, something along those lines.
by HassanD  

Re: Having a Kanji name? 2015/4/27 11:41
Are you allowed to give yourself a Kanji name when applying for things in general (jobs, utilities, etc) or do you have to use the name on your passport?

You used to be able to make a Japanese alias, but I think you still have to use your official name for formal documents.

Would it be weird if you introduced yourself with a Kanji name when meeting people?

If you are an obvious foreigner then yes, it would be odd to introduce yourself with a Japanese name. Be prepared to explain why you have a Japanese name.

( I found a site that basically translates your name from English to the Kanji/Hirigana/Katakana version\s)

The kanji versions from these translator sites are basically worthless. And the katakana transliterations are what your official name in Japan will probably end up being (although you have some leeway on what to choose so that it sounds correct to your ear).

My reasoning for this is that I have a Muslim name (Hassan) and atm due to the scum ISIS, I heard that you will have a hard time in Japan if you are known as Muslim, specially when trying to get a job since people will be scared or just don't like Muslims, something along those lines.

A Japanese name won't do anything for you once you get to the interview stage of the hiring process...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Having a Kanji name? 2015/4/27 15:34
I agree with yllwsmrf .

I've helped foreign residents find jobs, and it's safer to tell who you are and what you can do right from the beginning. It's called "honesty."

You can tell them about your skills, your will to adjust with the local colleagues-to-be, your will to learn the language and culture, and if they still agree to interview you that means they are willing to understand you and accept you.

On the other hand, if you use an unofficial name and show up with a Muslim passport or whatever passport that does not suit that name, then your future employer will be suspicious. By the way, every person, be it local or foreign, is supposed to present an official ID when you are employed.

Meanwhile, a lot of foreign residents and visitors use a kanji name just for fun. It's a great way to amuse the locals and strike up a conversation.

I find that the Muslims I've met in Japan, or elsewhere, are generally nice people. I've even befriended a few. I hope you have fun here in Japan.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Having a Kanji name? 2015/4/27 16:24
show up with a Muslim passport

From Muslimistan, I suppose?
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Having a Kanji name? 2015/4/27 16:28
OP's profile also says he's a British citizen, by the way, so that was doubly offensive.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Having a Kanji name? 2015/4/28 00:10
Yes I have a British passport so that might help. Also You can tell them about your skills, your will to adjust with the local colleagues-to-be, your will to learn the language and culture, and if they still agree to interview you that means they are willing to understand you and accept you.

I imagine this would be in a cover letter of some sort, right?
by HassanD rate this post as useful

Re: Having a Kanji name? 2015/4/28 12:02
Depends. What type of jobs are you looking at?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Having a Kanji name? 2015/4/28 15:33
OK Since you are from the UK, you probably have a British accent so you will give a good impression when you meet people. If you ever go to an interview, just tell your name while showing your passport or documents since you will show them the documents even if your official birth name was in Japanese. Just be honest and don't stress over it.
by amzshow rate this post as useful

Re: Having a Kanji name? 2015/4/28 16:35
I have a Muslim name (Hassan) and atm due to the scum ISIS, I heard that you will have a hard time in Japan if you are known as Muslim
Most Japanese wouldn't necessarily know a muslim name from any other foreign name.

Getting a kanji alias is helpful for paper applications, such as for credit cards, but not necessary for utilities or banks. But for a job application? They will have your details from your CV so it won't make a difference and may make them think you odd.

a British accent so you will give a good impression when you meet people
That would depend on which British accent. Some are difficult for Japanese people to understand.
by Lady Kodaira rate this post as useful

Re: Having a Kanji name? 2015/4/28 17:37
I'm sorry if I offened anyone. It would be a useless excuse to say that English is not my native language. I suppose I should have written "a passport that looks like that of a Muslim's."

I imagine this would be in a cover letter of some sort, right?

That too, but I meant the phone call. You usually make a phone call to your employer-to-be first and tell that you want to apply for a job. Then they usually tell you to come on a certain date with your resume, but only if they think it's worth it. People do decline application from foreign residents, and I assume that's what you are worried about. And then once they interview you, they observe how sincere you may be.

As suggested, it depends on the job, but your resume or any sort of cover letter is usually just one part of your application process, at least if you're looking for jobs that are open for the Japanese as well.
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Having a Kanji name? 2015/4/28 21:05
My co-worker is a muslim who holds an American passport. Good employers wouldn't discriminate based on your religion. If they do, it's better you don't work for them.
by Cyki (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread