Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Under-50cc motercycle in Osaka 2015/5/19 08:14
hi everyone
i have a plan to traveling in japan on falling season
i want lant under 50cc scooter(motercycle)
during about 2 weeks in osaka. kyoto area
if you had a information please letter to me
by jkfoij  

Re: Under-50cc motercycle in Osaka 2015/5/22 03:54
If ur driver's licence(IDP) covered motorcycle (stamped/checked "A") possible.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/IDP_Taiwan.jpg
But find hardly rent a shop such long week
and rent fee not cheap also cannot find legal parking easier
and speed limit is 30km/h max no good on high speed sections
so no real.
by J-rider (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Under-50cc motercycle in Osaka 2015/5/22 14:15
You can ride a 50cc motorcycle or scooter in Japan with just and IDP for a car (without the motorcycle stamped). Anything larger, such as a 125cc requires the rider to have a Japanese 125cc license or an IDP with a motorcycle stamp.

Legally, a 50cc bike is limited to 30km/hr, but many Japanese will drive them much faster. Depending on the type you get, going 50km/hr can get scary as the frame begins to flex. That said, I've run into foreigners who were touring the entirety of Japan by 50cc. They just took back roads and probably had to push them a bit up the mountain passes. They had their luggage strapped to the back fender and handlebars and looked like a regular touring bike except for the size.

If you find any motorcycle shop, they can guide you to a place with used 50cc bikes/scooters if they don't have any themselves. There are some shops that specialize in used 50cc bikes, but the ones I know are a long ways from Osaka.

If you have a motorcycle license in your home country, I would get the IDP stamped and then look for a used 125cc or 250cc bike. These are usually much more solidly built and will have the power to take you up hills. More importantly, you can keep up with traffic and won't be squeezed against the curbs as when riding a 50cc and cars pass you (which they will always try to do). I've only ridden a 50cc when my nana-han (750cc) was in the shop and the shop owner gave me the 50 as a loaner for the day or 2 that they worked on the bigger bike. I did not feel comfortable riding that little bike that revved up to 7000rpm just to go down the highway. Get some good maps and stay off the national roads and pick the rural roads through the fields.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread