Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

My Fuji Climb Itinerary Review 2015/5/20 02:43
I'm climbing Mt Fuji in August and would like to utilize my JR pass as much as possible, traveling from Tokyo and returning to Tokyo after the climb is over.

We'd like to take different routes ascending and descending the mountain, and would also like to visit an onsen afterward. I'm look for a review and additional suggestions to my itinerary below. If there is a better way to get somewhere or a better suggestion for onsen, I'm all ears!

1. Tokyo Station to Otsuki Station via JR Chuo Limited Express
2. Otsuki Station to Kawaguchiko Station via Fujikyu Railways
3. Kawaguchiko Station to Fuji Subaru 5th Station via climbers bus
4. Ascend - Yoshida Trail
5. Descend - Subashiri Trail
6. Subashiri 5th Station to Gotenba Station via climbers bus
7. Gotenba Station to Hotel Mount Fuji Iriguchi via Fujikyu Bus
8. Hotel Mount Fuji Iriguchi to Benifuji no yu onsen via walking
9. Benifuji no yu onsen to Hotel Mount Fuji Iriguchi via walking
10. Hotel Mount Fuji Iriguchi to Fujisan Station via Fujikyu Bus
11. Fujisan Station to Otsuki Station via Fujikyu Railways
12. Otsuki Station to Tokyo Station via JR Chuo Limited Express

After all is said and done, is it better to just take a bus from Tokyo to the fifth station? What about getting to the onsen and back to Tokyo?

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!
by Schmanda  

Re: My Fuji Climb Itinerary Review 2015/5/20 11:48
Are you planning to climb overnight? Because you won't have time for all that in a daytrip.

Also I'd consider descending via the Gotemba trail instead so you can hit the Osunabashiri (great sand run) on the way down.

After all is said and done, is it better to just take a bus from Tokyo to the fifth station?

I would consider it as it's quite a bit easier, faster, and only about 1000 more expensive.

What about getting to the onsen and back to Tokyo?

Benifuji is one of the best in the area, but it is kind of a pain to access by bus.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: My Fuji Climb Itinerary Review 2015/5/20 12:48
I think the itinerary is well organized but if I have a JR pass, I would rather choose to go, Tokyo sta - Mishima sta(by Shinkansen) - Fujinomiya 5th sta(by Fujikyu Tozan bus) both ascending and descending via Fujinomiya trail, but this Tozan bus is limited.
and also, not sure where you booked your hut.

If you arrive in Mishima sta at 10:00, you will be in Fujinomiya 5th sta at 12:20, is the earliest. You would probably get a rest there for 90 mins to acclimatize your body for altitude, you will be started to climb around 14:00, I think it's a bit late start. The weather in Mt Fuji is variable, it better to start climbing early and arrive your hut early.

For the descending route, I don't think there are many Onsen in Gotenmba area. By the time you will arrive in Gotemba via Subashiri trail, you must be very tired.

Tokyo - Mishima - Gotemba(via Numazu, JR pass is valid) - Subashiri 5th sta(by Tozan bus) is alternative.

I might think the other way if I can think of it later.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: My Fuji Climb Itinerary Review 2015/5/20 15:08
Thank you all for the replies.

We are definitely staying overnight in a hut, though we haven't booked yet. We picked the ascending and descending routes based on a suggestion in a Fujisan climbing guide for this portion of the climbing season.

We aren't bound by the JR pass, and reading your comments it seems to be a lost cause anyway. The convenience of a bus seems to make most sense for time and money.

It does sound like time to start the climb is more critical than I thought. We are pretty experienced hikers but knowing the start time from the 5th station is appreciated.

Any comments on the onsen? Is there a better way to get there?

by Schmanda (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: My Fuji Climb Itinerary Review 2015/5/20 15:21
We picked the ascending and descending routes based on a suggestion in a Fujisan climbing guide for this portion of the climbing season.

It depends on the specific dates of your climb, but I'm not sure why hiking in August would lead you to specifically pick those routes up and down. Its a classic route, but I'd expect it to be really crowded. So much that I would personally do an alternate route if possible. Can you link to the guide that you consulted?

It does sound like time to start the climb is more critical than I thought. We are pretty experienced hikers but knowing the start time from the 5th station is appreciated.

It's not too critical if you will stay at a hut. It is more critical if you are trying to time the hike to hit sunrise without stopping along the way.

Any comments on the onsen? Is there a better way to get there?

Rental car is easiest of course, but causes other issues with the hiking plans. You could consider renting one at Gotemba.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: My Fuji Climb Itinerary Review 2015/5/20 19:47
For ascending route, I would choose to go by Fujikyu bus, Tokyo sta - Shinjuku sta(by JR Chuo line, JR pass is valid) - Shinjuku West highway bus terminal - Fujinomiya trail 5th sta(by Fujikyu highway bus, 2700 Yen).
There are plenty buses available between Shinjuku - Fujinomiya trail 5th sta in summer time.
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/arrange/travel/practical/pdf/bus_schedule_to...
The time table for 2015 is not yet to be released but it will be very similar each year.

Ascend Mt Fuji 5th sta via Fujinomiya trail(book your hut on this route).

Descend Mt Fuji via Fujinomiya trail, arrive Fujinomiya 5th sta. Leave Fujinomiya 5th sta for Mishima sta(by Fujikyu local bus service, 2460 yen). Mishima sta - Atami sta(by JR Tokaido line for 15 mins, JR pass is valid).
Atami is a well known Onsen resort.

JR Atami sta - JR Tokyo sta(by Shinkansen, JR pass is valid).

If you can manage your time, it even cheaper to purchase a return bus ticket between Mishima - Fujinomiya 5th sta for 3100 Yen(2460 Yen for a single ticket) which is available to purchase at Mishima sta bus ticket office and is valid for 2 days.

Re: My Fuji Climb Itinerary Review 2015/5/20 20:53
I found the other way.
Tokyo sta - Shin Fuji sta(by Shinkansen, JR pass is valid)
Shin Fuji sta - Fujinomiya trail 5th sta(by Fujikyu local bus service, 3100 Yen for a return ticket)
Fujinomiya 5th sta - Shin Fuji sta(by Fujikyu local bus service, a return ticket is valid)
Shin Fuji sta - Atami sta(by Shinkansen, JR pass is valid)
Atami sta - Tokyo sta(by Shinkansen, JR pass is valid)

The Fujikyu local bus service between Shin Fuji sta and Fujinomiya 5th sta for a return ticket is 3100 Yen. You can purchase it at Shin Fuji sta bus ticket office which valid for 2 days.

There is a shinkansen(kodama) departs Tokyo sta for Shin Fuji sta at 6:33, arrives Shin Fuji sta at 7:36, Fujikyu bus leaves Shin Fuji sta at 8:30, arrives Fujinomiya 5th sta at 10:45.
I think the bus ticket office opens at 8:00 during summer season but still unsure about the office hour.
The timetable for shinkansen and Fujikyu are not released yet but it seems to work well.

Re: My Fuji Climb Itinerary Review 2015/5/20 23:35
Yllwsmrf, do you have any alternative suggestions for ascending/descending the mountain. The specific dates we are climbing are Friday August 28/Saturday August 29. Naturally we are open to alternative routes and itineraries, but the wooded portion of the Yoshida trail seemed appealing.

I found the suggestion in a book called Climbing Mt. Fuji: A Complete Guidebook. With the following link skip to page 25, you will see the suggestion there. http://www.amazon.com/Climbing-Mt-Fuji-Complete-Guidebook/dp/099216230...

In the end, the most critical aspects of this whole trip are ascending/descending on the most beautiful/unique trails and making sure to go to an onsen afterward. We can rent a car if need be, but buses, trains, etc are all possibilities for us as well. We just want the experience to be enjoyable. We're not on a budget, but not interested in an expensive group tour.

Any and all redefinition of our tentative itinerary are welcome. What have you done in the past? Do you have suggestions on methods for hut bookings?
by Schmanda rate this post as useful

Re: My Fuji Climb Itinerary Review 2015/5/21 01:33
You won't probably enjoy climbing Mt Fuji any trails. Mt Fuji is an active volcano, no flowers and trees there, only volcanic rocks around.
You would probably enjoy Mt Takao instead. There are many flowers, trees, insects and small animals there.

Re: My Fuji Climb Itinerary Review 2015/5/21 01:47
I've done plenty of barren volcanic hikes before and found them to be very enjoyable! This is one of the tops on my bucket list, so I will be doing it regardless.

But I appreciate the suggestion for Mt. Takao. It looks beautiful, and I think we will have time on our trip. Thank you!
by Schmanda rate this post as useful

reply to this thread