Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

3-Week Backpacking Itinerary. Suggestions? 2015/5/28 11:48
Please read over my 3-Week itinerary and let me know what you think of it. I'll be traveling with my significant other so we will be staying at business hotels rather than hostels. Do you think this is do-able? If not, which days and what would you suggest?

Note: This is our second time going to Japan so there are some places that we've allocated less time to such as Kyoto, Nara, and Osaka

Day 1: Arrive to Japan and arrive early afternoon Tokyo – Sunday August 30, 2015
Check in Tokyo Hotel

Day 2: Mount Fuji Ascent – Monday August 31, 2015
Check out Tokyo Hotel

Day 3: Mount Fuji Descent and Ryokan with hot spring (Mount Fuji/Kawaguchiko area) – Tuesday September 1, 2015
Check in Ryokan

Day 4: Ryokan (Mount Fuji) and arrive Kanazawa late afternoon – Wednesday September 2, 2015
Check out Ryokan
Check in Kanazawa Hotel

Day 5: Shirakawa-Go – Thursday September 3, 2015
Check out Kanazawa Hotel / Leave luggage here
Sleep overnight at Shirakawa-Go farm house

Day 6: Kanazawa – Friday September 4, 2015
Check out farm house
Check in Kanazawa Hotel

Day 7: Takayama – Saturday September 5, 2015

Day 8: Himeji and Fushimi Inari – Sunday September 6, 2015
Check out Kanazawa Hotel
Check in Kyoto Hotel

Day 9: Mount Koya (staying at the temple) – Monday September 7, 2015
Check out Kyoto Hotel / Leave luggage here
Check in Mount Koya Temple

Day 10: Mount Koya and Arashiyama – Tuesday September 8, 2015
Check out Mount Koya Temple
Check in Kyoto Hotel

Day 11: Nara (Todaiji temple/deer park) and Osaka (Dotonbori) - Note: We've been to Osaka & Nara before – Wednesday September 9, 2015

Day 12: Morning: Kibune & Karama and then something in Kyoto (note: we've done many things in Kyoto already)– Thursday September 10, 2015

Day 13: Fukuoka – Friday September 11, 2015
Check out Kyoto Hotel
Check in Fukuoka Hotel

Day 14: Kagoshima (note: Is Kagoshima better than Nagasaki?) – Saturday September 12, 2015

Day 15: Plan A – Miyagima or Plan B – Miyajima and Hiroshima – Sunday September 13, 2015
Check out Fukuoka Hotel
Check in Hiroshima Hotel

Day 16: Plan A – Bunny Island and Hiroshima or Plan B – Bunny Island and Iwakuni – Monday September 14, 2015

Day 17: Arrive in Tokyo afternoon and do something – Tuesday September 15, 2015
Check out Hiroshima Hotel
Check in Tokyo Hotel

Day 18: Disneyland – Wednesday September 16, 2015

Day 19: Disneysea – Thursday September 17, 2015

Day 20: Plan A: Tokyo or Plan B (if raining): Nikko – Friday September 18, 2015

Day 21: Plan A: Nikko Plan B - Tokyo – Saturday September 19, 2015

Day 22: Tokyo (Tsukiji Fish Market, Akibahara, Nakano, Harajuku, and Shibuya) – Sunday September 20, 2015

Day 23: Tokyo and Depart from Japan – Monday September 21, 2015
Check out Tokyo Hotel
by truonant  

Re: 3-Week Backpacking Itinerary. Suggestions? 2015/5/28 18:21
This seems easily doable - but my only question is why are you going to Kagoshima and Fukuoka. It just seems as though it's a lot of travel for a single night.

What might be a good idea is to leave these two nights free and decide what you want to do closer to the day.

Just note that it will take a bit of time to get to Fuji Five Lakes. It's not long distance wise, just lots of changes and the like. However, I do think it is worth it.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: 3-Week Backpacking Itinerary. Suggestions? 2015/5/29 01:45
Thank you for your response! It's only 2 hours and 50 mins from Kyoto to Fukuoka and 1 hour 48 mins from Hakata to Kagoshima.

Although the travel time is a bit longer than the rest, we feel that it is worth it since these are cities we have not visited before.
by truonant rate this post as useful

Re: 3-Week Backpacking Itinerary. Suggestions? 2015/5/29 06:59
Actually, you could get from Hakata to Kagoshima-Chuo in as little as 85 minutes by sakura shinkansen. Both cities are worth going to see.
For Fukuoka, there are many open parks, shopping, seaside historical areas, and urban neon. See this site as a detailed guide
http://www.thejapanfaq.com/fukpic.html

For Fukuoka, don't miss the Nanzoin Temple
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT4VQFmHFyM
which is one of Japan's finest yet almost totally unknown to the outside world and completely free.
Also look into a Fukuoka Tourist City Pass
http://goo.gl/XFQSwe
You can also see a lot of previews on the best there is to see at
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7LcPcmoSg-j4RLa6iC7ayvBAbOn8-0...

Kagoshima is most famous for its Sakuajima volcano - a truly must-see place:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxDmLuq6ssI
And the Senganen Garden is very beautiful to see as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpnDK_Wux9Q
Looking back at your original dates though, for Day 11 there are also the two nice gardens in the area - Isuien and Yoshikien. Both are mostly ignored in the tourist stampede to Todaiji, so have a relaxing walk through them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk-7IoLELio
Dotonbori is one of Osaka's best sights - just go there in the evening or night:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COJ_MeXbeow
The Umeda Sky Bldg is also wonderful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb1wuyAGgyQ
Unless you are a big fan of rabbits, you might like Iwakuni more. It is also very easy to get to after Miyajima:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0COOZXi66mM
I might suggest one other possibility - go see the 300 million year old Akiyoshido Limestone Cave in Yamaguchi. The underground caverns and flowing river are really something you will never forget:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqIKC9S8TFQ
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3-Week Backpacking Itinerary. Suggestions? 2015/5/30 16:49
Hello,

It seems that you want to be on train or bus a lot and a lot... ;)
I feel your plan is not quite convenient.

1. Day 4, you arrive late at Kanazawa. Day 5, you stay in Shirakawa-go. Day 6, you stay in Kanazawa. Day 7, you stay in Takayama. ;)

I suggest: Day 5, discover Kanazawa, stay in Kanazawa. Day 6, go to Shirakawa-go, and stay a nigh there. Day 7, go to Takayama. It is more logical regarding transportation. You will save some cost !

Spending 1 day in Kanazawa is not enough! At least, 2 days!

2. Day 8, 9, 10, 11:
Himeji (near Osaka) -- Fushimi Inari (Kyoto) -- Mount Koya -- Arashiyama (Kyoto) -- Nara -- Osaka (Dotonbori)!

It is not convenient. Let's group them into the city! Dotonbori (Osaka) -- Himeji -- Arashiyama -- Fushimi Inari -- Nara -- Mount Fuji!

Hey guy, you really need to revise your plan ;;)
by lnkhang rate this post as useful

Re: 3-Week Backpacking Itinerary. Suggestions? 2015/6/6 09:36
@Ken. Thanks for the heads up about Sakura Shinkansen and for the suggestions on things to do within Fukuoka and Kagoshima, it will help us when we're finalizing our itinerary.

@lnkhang. Your first suggestion is interesting (but first we'll have to check the bus times: We'll get more time in Kanazawa, but less time in Takayama, but we'll be able to save some travel time. As for your second suggestion, we're not sure what you mean by that. Could you clarify?

Re: 3-Week Backpacking Itinerary. Suggestions? 2015/6/6 11:31
I think what Inkhang is saying is that there's a lot of back and forth in the area there, when you can do it in a more convenient way.

I would stay in Kyoto for Fushimi Inari, Arashiyama, Kibune, etc. Then check out and go to Nara, stay in Osaka for the night. From there go to Mt Koya, stay the night there, and then on the way to Fukuoka stop and see Himeji. At the very least I wouldn't go back to Kyoto after going to Mt. Koya, and just go to Fukuoka from there.
by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3-Week Backpacking Itinerary. Suggestions? 2015/6/6 12:24
@Mon (guest). The only issue is that we'll have our luggage with us if we go to see Himeji on our way to Fukuoka. Also, we'll have less time to spend at Himeji if we do that.

Re: 3-Week Backpacking Itinerary. Suggestions? 2015/6/6 13:06
Ah I see, you originally had Himeji on the day after checking out from Takayama so I thought you were seeing that before checking in to your Kyoto hotel. I don't really see how you're going to have that much more time in Himeji on that day than going there on the way to Fukuoka, but maybe I'm missing something.
Another option to consider is organising takuhaibin and getting your luggage sent from your Kyoto hotel to your Fukuoka one, and just take a day pack to Mt. Koya.
by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3-Week Backpacking Itinerary. Suggestions? 2015/6/6 15:20
Hey guys,

1. If you go to Himeji, you should not worry about the luggage. My friends and me left our big luggage at the shinkansen station in Himeji and everything was find. At that time, we traveled with 2 big backpacks, 2 big suitcases.

2. Here, I suggest you a draft plan:
Tokyo
Mount Fuji
Back to Tokyo to get the shinkansen to Kanazawa
Shirakawa-go
Takayama
Osaka
Mount Koya
Kyoto: Fushimi Inari, Arashiyama, Kibune, Karama
Nara
Hiroshima
Fukuoka
Kagoshima
Tokyo. From Kagoshima to Tokyo: 6 hours by train! Consider flight to Tokyo. If you go with train, it is possible to visit Himeji on the way.
by lnkhang rate this post as useful

Re: 3-Week Backpacking Itinerary. Suggestions? 2015/6/8 14:45
You can always leave your luggage over night at a train station locker or at an past hotel reception.

Both Takayama and shirakawago are interesting but no more than 3 hours each. Please. Shirakawago is an interesting place to stay the night if you are into lodging in a farm. If not, you can do both places in a day! Takayama in the morning and shirakawago in the afternoon. Returning back to kanazawa at night. Makes things easier.

Do plan your time properly.

For example Nara and himeji too
by JOSHUA hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 3-Week Backpacking Itinerary. Suggestions? 2015/6/9 03:33
We're taken everyone's suggestion into account and have revised our itinerary to best suit our needs. We've mostly made changes around the Kanazawa, Shirakawago, Takayama, Kyoto, Mt Koya, and Fukuoka areas:
- We'll do Kanazawa first, then go to Shirakawago and then head straight to Takayama afterwards
- Instead of leaving our luggage at Kyoto when we got to Mt.Koya, we're going to bring our luggage with us to Mt.Koya, and then we'll head straight to Fukuoka afterwards.
- For travelling time and distance we've paired up Himeji with Osaka's Dotonbori. Todaiji Temple with Fushimi Inari. And Kibune with Arashiyama

Please continue providing us some feedback, it's really helpful!
We also have a few questions we'd like to ask:
1. How much time would you recommend to spend for Bunny Island? If possible we'd like to do Bunny Island and then Iwakuni.
2. We still need to fill out some things for Tokyo, do you have any recommendations on attractions or areas to visit to pair up with our day 17,20, and 22? We want to do interesting things like Alcatraz ER, maid cafes, owl cafes, the Robot Cafe, and etc.

Day 1: Arrive to Japan and arrive early afternoon Tokyo – Sunday August 30, 2015
Check in Tokyo Hotel

Day 2: Mount Fuji Ascent – Monday August 31, 2015
Check out Tokyo Hotel

Day 3: Mount Fuji Descent and Ryokan with hot spring (Mount Fuji/Kawaguchiko area) – Tuesday September 1, 2015
Check in Ryokan

Day 4: Ryokan (Mount Fuji) and arrive Kanazawa late afternoon – Wednesday September 2, 2015
Check out Ryokan
Check in Kanazawa Hotel

Day 5: Kanazawa– Thursday September 3, 2015
Check out Kanazawa Hotel / Leave luggage here

Day 6: Shirakawa-Go – Friday September 4, 2015
Sleep overnight at Shirakawa-Go farm house

Day 7: Takayama – Saturday September 5, 2015
Check out farm house

Day 8: Himeji and Osaka (Dotonbori) – Sunday September 6, 2015
Check out Kanazawa Hotel
Check in Kyoto Hotel

Day 9: Nara (Todaiji temple) and Kyoto (Fushimi Inari) – Monday September 7, 2015

Day 10: Kyoto (Kibune and Arashiyama) – Tuesday September 8, 2015

Day 11: Mount Koya (staying at the temple) – Wednesday September 9, 2015
Check out Kyoto Hotel
Check in Mount Koya Temple

Day 12: Mount Koya and Fukuoka – Thursday September 10, 2015
Check out Mount Koya Temple
Check in Fukuoka Hotel

Day 13: Fukuoka – Friday September 11, 2015

Day 14: Kagoshima – Saturday September 12, 2015

Day 15: Plan A – Miyagima or Plan B – Miyajima and Hiroshima – Sunday September 13, 2015
Check out Fukuoka Hotel
Check in Hiroshima Hotel

Day 16: Plan A – Bunny Island and Hiroshima or Plan B – Bunny Island and Iwakuni – Monday September 14, 2015

Day 17: Arrive in Tokyo afternoon and do something – Tuesday September 15, 2015
Check out Hiroshima Hotel
Check in Tokyo Hotel

Day 18: Disneyland – Wednesday September 16, 2015

Day 19: Disneysea – Thursday September 17, 2015

Day 20: Tokyo (Tsukiji Fish Market, Owl Café, Akibahara, Odaiba, Shinjuku) – Friday September 18, 2015

Day 21: Nikko – Saturday September 19, 2015

Day 22: Tokyo (Morning Shibuya Crossing, Nakano, Harajuku and Shibuya) – Sunday September 20, 2015

Day 23: Tokyo and Depart from Japan – Monday September 21, 2015
Check out Tokyo Hotel

Re: 3-Week Backpacking Itinerary. Suggestions? 2015/6/9 04:26
Bunny island
The one near Hiroshima?
Where are you coming from?
If from Hiroshima, you've got to take the Shinkansen to mihara
Local train to takedera
Ferry to bunny island
Bunny island ferries are 1.5 to 2.5 hours in interval so go as early as possible. The ferry people take a long lunch break so there is a gap in timings.
The island main attraction are the rabbits. IF you want to see some ruins of the bunny experimental facilities, utll take some time getting around the whole island.

Seeing and playing with the bunnies however would take less than an hour. There is a bus from the pier to the hotel. Feed bunnies at hotel. Walk back to pier.
by JOSHUA hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread