Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How do I get a phone upon arrival in Japan? 2015/6/21 00:59
I should be going to Japan in september and stay for one year to study japanese.
I'm 18 and I know from previous visits to Japan that my european phone won't work once I'm there.
Last time I went I only stayed for two weeks and rented a phone to call home in Europe but this time I can't as I'm staying for longer.
What do I have to do to buy a phone there? nothing too fancy just something I can use to message and call within Japan and maybe that has internet so I can use line and call home on Skype.
I read on the internet that you need to have a bank account in Japan to get a contract and stuff, isn't there an easy way to buy a phone once I'm there?
I'll be going to Kyoto if that helps.
by Ema97  

Re: How do I get a phone upon arrival in Japan? 2015/6/22 03:19
there are places in Narita airport where, upon your arrival you can sign up for a phone contract.

there are also the stores of the different phone companies (I suggest you look into some different companies to see which plans you like best) which you can also sign up for a phone with, I believe some companies, depending on the type of contract(?) require a residence card as a form of ID, that being said you will need to present some form(s) of ID to sign up with a company contract.

alternatively you can skip the phone contracts and get a prepaid phone which i believe you can pick up at not only the cell company outlets but i believe you can also get them at Narita airport and also online.

there is paperwork that you'd have to fill out so it'd be helpful if you had a good grip on written Japanese and Kanji, or have someone with you who can help you with understanding. With this paperwork it also be helpful if you had a hanko as most places don't really appreciate written signatures.

hope this helps... Have a great time in Japan!
by all these things rate this post as useful

Re: How do I get a phone upon arrival in Japan? 2015/6/22 10:19
care to tell us your european phone make and model?
is it unlock?
there are few options :
1. voice only prepaid 3G phone or voice+data prepaid(expensive) by softbank. no bank acc or credit require, reload credit at convenience store or shop.

http://www.softbank.jp/en/mobile/price_plan/prepaid/

2. get data+voice from mvno bmobile or iijmio. credit card info require. some big electric shop carry their own brand with above mvno , Bic or Yodobashi.

3. 6 month prepaid data only 5GB. one time payment retail price 18,000 yen.
b-mobile 5GB~6ƒ–ŒŽ’èŠzSIMƒpƒbƒP[ƒW, amazon selling for 17,+++yen.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I get a phone upon arrival in Japan? 2015/6/22 10:28
6 month prepaid data only 5GB. one time payment retail price 18,000 yen.
b-mobile 5GB~6ƒ–ŒŽ’èŠzSIMƒpƒbƒP[ƒW, amazon selling for 17,+++yen.

this is 5GB per month for 6 month period. one time payment only, no credit card or bank acc info registration. new release plan, previous was 1GBx6months at 14000yen(amazon japan selling 12,+++yen)

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/5gb6m/index.html
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How do I get a phone upon arrival in Japan? 2015/6/23 09:14
You might also consider a long term phone rental
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread