Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kurobe Alpine better from which direction? 2015/6/24 02:23
Is it better to start Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route from the west at Toyama or the east at Shinano-Omachi? And why?

I would also like to ask how's the height of the snow wall like end May?

Thank you very much in advance.
by nbatwh3  

Re: Kurobe Alpine better from which direction? 2015/6/27 06:13
I guess it depends on where you are coming from. But since the Hokuriku shinkansen completed it would be no problem going from either direction of staying in Tokyo.
by Alex (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kurobe Alpine better from which direction? 2015/6/27 11:33
Is it better to start Tateyama Kurobe Alpine Route from the west at Toyama or the east at Shinano-Omachi? And why?

I prefer to start it in Shinano-Omachi and travel towards Toyama, because the scenery and approach with various modes of transportation is more dramatic in the eastern half.

But it also depends a lot on where you start the day and where you end it.

Also, in November, there is a considerable chance of bus service in the western half being disrupted. During that time of the year, the eastern approach is "safer".

I would also like to ask how's the height of the snow wall like end May?

I am not sure, but expect it to be less than half of the original height. Probably around 4-8 meters. Just a guess... It also varies from year to year somewhat.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kurobe Alpine better from which direction? 2015/6/28 07:46
There is one advantage for travel from Toyama: the cablecar from Tateyama Station is the only means along the route that allows for advance reservations. So, if you travel on a busy day, travel from Toyama with a reservation can cut down on waiting times.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread