Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kusatsu - worth overnight stay? 2015/6/24 18:02
Hi, just wondering if it is better to stay overnight in Kusatsu to experience the onsen? If so, do you have a recommendation for a NonSmoking hotel?

Where can you buy the onsen eggs? Are they available on the daytime?
by Row (guest)  

Re: Kusatsu - worth overnight stay? 2015/6/24 19:10
"Kusatsu - worth without overnight stay?" seems the more natural question to me!

Of course, you should stay overnight if possible. You will miss on a lot of the best experiences by not doing so, including the relaxation of staying at a ryokan, strolling through town in yukata, etc.

Where can you buy the onsen eggs?

I remember a store along the main shopping street between the Yubatake and Sainokawara Park that sells them. There is a kind of hot-water fountain in front of the store.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Kusatsu - worth overnight stay? 2015/6/24 19:36
I saw the store you are talking about earlier today. I forgot which street is was on though.

Because it takes quite a bit of time to get to Kusatsu - you really need to spend a night here to spend some time in the onsens. Even though your hotel will have an onsen - I highly recommend also visiting some of the paid onsens which are listed on the main JG page.

In a couple of days - I should have a user post for Kusatsu Onsen. If you have time to burn - it's even better to spend two nights here and spend a whole day visiting the onsens
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Kusatsu - worth overnight stay? 2015/6/24 20:13
Just over a week ago I went to kusatsu by car, it's a very nice place, and as said above, even if the hotel does have a onsen, you should try the others free and paid establishments.

For the eggs, you can get them direct at the main street right at the center, near the Yubatake, you will see a small fountain in front of the shop.

I was unlucky to visit on a day where majority of the restaurants were close, so I had my dinner at a convenience store, still a good experiences, and the dinner was ok.

Are you after a modern hotel or a ryokan, I will consider a ryokan as you do get the traditional feel.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

Re: Kusatsu - worth overnight stay? 2015/6/25 01:32
Thanks for the replies. I want a modern hotel . Nonsmoking definitely. I have stayed at accommodation in Shibuonsen and Miyagima that say it is nonsmoking and it reeked of smoke and ashtrays all over the room. I just want to be sure.
Any accommodation suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
by Row (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kusatsu - worth overnight stay? 2015/6/25 02:14
I stayed at Hotel Takamatsu for 7000 yen, you can choose from modern or tatami.

Does not include halfboard, cheapest is to book direct with them.

Re: Kusatsu - worth overnight stay? 2015/6/25 12:25
Kms99,
Please advise when Kusatsu establishments are closed? What day of the week?
Anyone know?
by Row (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kusatsu - worth overnight stay? 2015/6/25 20:34
I can't really comment on this, it was on the 10th June 2015, and I was planning to visit 2 of the 4 restaurants, but all was closed, even the in hotel restaurant was closed.

Re: Kusatsu - worth overnight stay? 2015/6/25 20:54
I think that kms just had bad luck. Most places are open all days apart from possibly being closed around New Years holidays
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Kusatsu - worth overnight stay? 2015/6/25 21:01
There were a few opened, but not interested, I was after a few that had wagyu beef, they were all closed, I actually though they will opened later at night, but they stayed closed, may be it was a holiday I n japan.

Re: Kusatsu - worth overnight stay? 2015/6/26 11:45
Could just be as they said. Bad luck. Not everyday that Wagyu beef manages to reach Kusatsu. Out of stock is a possibility
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread