Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1st week December in Kyoto for Autumn leaves 2015/6/25 19:21
Am I at the right timing to see Autumn Leaves during December :-

1. 1st to 5th December in Kyoto
2. 6th to 8th TakAyama
3. 9th to 12th in Osaka
4. 13th to 16th in Wakayama

Appreciate valuable advise.
by elaine3848  

Re: 1st week December in Kyoto for Autumn leaves 2015/6/26 10:48
Hi. There are suggested timeframes on the site for autumn leaves (koyo). But the first week of December isn't good in Kyoto for autumn leaves, a lot of the leaves are already brown. I've been a few times at that time, and on those occasions we've caught good colour in Nara/Kyoto in the last week of November but then when the icy winds start it knocks them over pretty fast and while you'll still get the odd yellow or red tree here and there (places like Uji and Arashiyama still have quite a bit of colour even in early December), by 1 December it is well past its peak.

That said, early December is an awesome time to visit because the crowds of mid - late November have thinned out.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1st week December in Kyoto for Autumn leaves 2015/6/26 11:08
Hi Lazy Pious
Thanks for your feedback. Will appreciate on what we will see on arrival.
by elaine3848 rate this post as useful

Re: 1st week December in Kyoto for Autumn leaves 2015/6/26 11:25
Nope. wrong.

It depends on the year, since weather is not controlled or determined by man.

That said, Oct to Nov is the colorful autumn period. December is when stuff starts to fall. Thus, why autumn is also called fall.
You may see something. Even so, it won't be anything amazing or awe-inspiring.

If you have never seen autumn colors before, it would be great. If not, please reconsider making autumn viewing the focus of your adventure. Disappointment is one of the greatest party popper on a trip. Only second to a missed flight.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1st week December in Kyoto for Autumn leaves 2015/6/26 11:32
Thanks, Joshua

Hmmmm... I have made the flight booking and it's will be sad and disappointed if its become fall...

Visited Japan on Spring/Cherry Blossom & alson Winter. This is my first time to visit Japan during Autumn /fall. So hoping the best of all.

Re: 1st week December in Kyoto for Autumn leaves 2015/6/26 12:17

I visited Kyoto early Dec last year, still witnessed a bit of colour, but not the best. The peak was effectively gone. Could this year be the same? Too early to predict.
by shinji (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1st week December in Kyoto for Autumn leaves 2015/6/26 15:37
Well, i would recommend going to low lying areas. Mountains like Takao are out. Heading to Kyushu may help. It was snowing on 31 Dec when i was there. Snowing heavily. And here i thought onsen towns are supposed to be hotter than that.

You will see something. I can guarantee that. I was Christmasing in Kyoto one year and there was some colors. But really little. Since you are going a few weeks earlier, cross your fingers and hope for the best.

It would make sense to put the autumn viewing spots at the beginning of your plan for the best chances of red yellow orange.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1st week December in Kyoto for Autumn leaves 2015/6/26 15:40
Hi Joshua

Noted and will check on Kyushu . Thanks.

Re: 1st week December in Kyoto for Autumn leaves 2015/6/27 00:58
In 2013, I visited Kyoto on Nov 18 -22 and the colors were starting to peak. Arashiyama was still somewhat pale compared to Ginkakuji and Kiyomizudera.

In 2014, I went to Kyoto on Nov 29th and it was already the peak at Kiyomizudera.

I think your safest bet would be to visit Kyoto in late November. First week of December might be OK but better in Nov.
by yozakura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 1st week December in Kyoto for Autumn leaves 2015/6/27 06:16
Was in Kyoto and Arashiyama area last year from Nov 18-28, 2014 and the Colors was mostly peaking. So I sure Dec is not going to be good time for Autumn Leaves

Hope this helps!!
Have Fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: 1st week December in Kyoto for Autumn leaves 2015/6/27 14:53
Thanks all for the feedback.

reply to this thread