Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hotel check in 2015/6/30 07:12
I don't speak any Japanese and was wondering the typical hotel check in procedures. What information will they ask for? Will I need a credit card?

A friend recommended that I book through the hotel's website and print the confirmation page, but I booked through Expedia. The confirmation was in English and not Japanese. Should I print it anyway despite the hotel not speaking English?
by Malcolm (guest)  

Re: Hotel check in 2015/6/30 09:17
I don't speak any Japanese and was wondering the typical hotel check in procedures.

Depends on the type of hotel. Western style hotels have western style check in procedures.

What information will they ask for?

Usually a name and address. Some also want a phone number. They are also legally required to make a copy of your passport.

Will I need a credit card?

Not usually

Should I print it anyway despite the hotel not speaking English?

Yes, it doesn't hurt to have a copy of your booking confirmation. At least it will have a confirmation number on it. Btw, how do you know they don't speak English? If they're on Expedia good chances are they'll at least be able to understand enough English to check you in.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel check in 2015/6/30 09:30
Usually you walk up to the counter and say, "check in". Most places will understand that. You then produce your passport so they can enter your name into the computer and that should be it. yes, they'll very politely ask you if it's okay to make a copy of your passport. It's a necessity, but they're being polite about it. I've always reserved with a credit card, but I always pay in cash and you pay in advance in most, if not all, places. It's not that difficult. Most places will require you to return the key to your room every time you leave the hotel so they can quickly tell if you're in or not in an emergency, but apart from that, it's just the same as checking in at a hotel in your own city.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel check in 2015/6/30 18:14
My experiences have generally been different to John B's. But you'll still be fine.

- take a print of your Expedia confirmation, or save it to your phone. It generally helps if there's any confusion.

- (for future info) if you use Booking.com it gives you the hotel name and address in Japanese, which can also be useful.

- IME you're asked for a credit(or debit) card about 50% of the time. Either (as is common in Europe) they don't actually charge your card at the time (they're just taking the details in case you do a runner), or you need to pay in advance (more common in business hotels). You can, of course, pay in cash.

- I've rarely been asked to leave my key when I go out of a hotel

- the check-in experience is like the experience of entering a restaurant. You may have no idea what's actually being said to you, but it basically follows the same procedure: someone greets you...they check your name and details against their reservation list....they ask you to take a scan of your passport...they either take an impression of your credit card or they ask you to pay up front (some hotels don't do this, but it's common enough for you to expect it as a possible step)...they give you your key...you're done. Once you know what to expect, you can breeze through it without really having any Japanese other than thank you and sorry.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Hotel check in 2015/7/1 00:24
With my experience, I just enter the hotels/ryokans and say check in and give my name, some does not know English, but totally understand your purpose.

Of all the time in Japan 3 times and in 11 hotels/ryokans, I haven't been asked for any deposit or credit card.
I think it's about trust or they just see what type of person you are.
by kms899 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread