Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mailed Medicine 2015/7/1 09:15
Hey folks,
Recently a few gaijin in Japan have been arrested for having various types of medicine sent to them from overseas.
This has me worried as this week I've been sent a parcel from Australia which contains 2 packets of Panadol (24 tablets in each) and 2 packets of ibuprofen (24 tablets in each). All were bought from the supermarket in Australia and will be in their original wrapping.
My question is basically.... Am i in any sort of trouble or is there no problem with that?
I have found out that you can buy ibuprofen here in Japan and i think there is no problems with the Panadol but am just a bit nervous having it all sent over in the mail due to the recent arrests.
Cheers.
by MadMax (guest)  

Re: Mailed Medicine 2015/7/1 12:11
The active ingredient in Panadol is Acetaminophen, which is used in Japan. So is Ibuprofen (widely in both prescription and in OTC). So you should have no problem.

The problem is when you try to send in drugs/medications that are classified in Japan as "drugs" (narcotics) or not approved in Japan.

by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mailed Medicine 2015/7/1 15:22
Panadol and Ibuprofen are both not categorized as dangerous drugs. 24 tables seem to be alright for personal consumption but it may be illegal to send and accept them more. JP customs may understand you imported them to sell in JP.
Ibuprofen is equivalent to this.
http://www.ssp.co.jp/eve/

Panadol is not sold in JP but very close to this.
http://www.bufferin.net/premium/index.htm
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Mailed Medicine 2015/7/1 17:29
Here are some more details on bringing/importing medicine into Japan.
http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-medimport.html

By the way, reports on the recent arrest stated that the medicine was "hidden" among other items when being sent to Japan. One can assume that the sender was aware that they might get in trouble if the medicine was found, and yet the sender went ahead and sent it.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Mailed Medicine 2015/7/1 18:30
are there the word differences between good medicine and bad medicines in English ?
in Japanese, good medicine is translated to –ò, kusuri.
and bad medicine is –ƒ–ò, mayaku.
the direct meaning of –ƒ–ò may be "devil's medicine" in English.

the women arrested had oxycodone. it is –ƒ–ò.
she seems to be a "drug abuser".
I think she will be deported from Japan forever, if she is lucky.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mailed Medicine 2015/7/1 19:05
Ken - one person's good medicine is another person's bad medicine.

One person's "drug abuser" is another person's "social drinker".
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Mailed Medicine 2015/7/1 19:27
the women arrested had oxycodone. it is –ƒ–ò.
she seems to be a "drug abuser".
I think she will be deported from Japan forever, if she is lucky.

There are legitimate reasons to take Oxycodone as it is a prescription pain drug in the US. While it can be abused, to presume that she is a drug abuser solely because she was in possession of oxycodone is just plain ignorant.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Mailed Medicine 2015/7/1 20:02
also in Japan, –ƒ–ò is used as a pain killer of terminal cancer patients.
such a stupid excuse will not be accepted. the ignorance is guilty.

the arguing point is that the sender, her father, did not report the package content correctly. if he reported correctly, she may not be arrested. just be finished by a caution.

she has resigned TOYOTA today.
that is a good decision to solve the problem. it will be going well.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Mailed Medicine 2015/7/1 20:21
No one is saying that it should be ok because Oxycodone is used as a prescription drug in Japan. That really has no bearing on the case anyway, as there isn't any doubt that she broke the law by having a large number of oxycodone pills sent to her without the proper paperwork.

Frankly, it is pretty easy for people not to understand customs rules and some people don't even check to see if what they are sending is allowed. For example, I know of incidences where people sent pseudoephedrine to Japan without knowing it was illegal, and one idiot who sent fireworks by post to Australia. But ignorance of the law is no excuse, and if you get caught...
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Mailed Medicine 2015/7/1 20:43
Well I kind of feel that this has gone off topic.
But thank you to the people who answered my questions.
I feel slightly less apprehensive now.
by MadMax (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread