Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone Closure Impacts? 2015/7/5 01:08
Hi all, am travelling to Japan for first time at end of Oct and would like to ask for people's opinions on whether Hakone is still worth going to with the recent volcano activities closing off the Hakone Ropeway and Owakudani? Am also worried volcanic activities might get worse causing more closures?

Originally planned 2 days, 1 night in Hakone. If not go, am thinking replace with an extra day in Tokyo and Kyoto? My current plan is:
- 4 days in Tokyo city + 1 day trip to Nikko + 1 day trip to Kamakura.
- Osaka for 2 days, 3 nights.
- Himeji Castle & Kokoen Garden in 1 day.
- Korakuen Garden in Okayama & Kurashiki in 1 day.
- Hiroshima for 2 days 2 nights to see Hiroshima Memorial and Miyajima island.
- 3 days in Kyoto city + 1 day trip to Arashiyama + 1 day trip to Nara.

Please note I'm travelling with an elderly person so our pace will be slower than an average person. And I'm planning to get a 21 days JR pass if that helps.

Thank you in advance!
by FirstTimerJapan (guest)  

Re: Hakone Closure Impacts? 2015/7/5 12:30
Hi all, am travelling to Japan for first time at end of Oct and would like to ask for people's opinions on whether Hakone is still worth going to with the recent volcano activities closing off the Hakone Ropeway and Owakudani?

Hakone has a lot more attractions besides Owakudani and the ropeway. I think it is definitely still worth a visit.

Am also worried volcanic activities might get worse causing more closures?

I think it is unlikely. But if you are the worry-type person and do not like flexible travel, then it may be better for you to skip Hakone.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone Closure Impacts? 2015/7/5 20:35
You better to skip Hakone if you are an international visitor and not so much sophisticated around the area.
If you like classical town and old bldgs, visit Yanaka in Tokyo, Kawagoe in Saitama. If you like Onsen, you may worth to visit Kusatsu in Gunma via Karuizawa by Shinkansen and local bus.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread