Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling from Hakone to Koyasan 2015/7/5 21:59
Hi,

We have booked an 18 day trip to Japan in September and our itinerary is as follows:

3 nights in Osaka
3 nights in Kyoto with day trip to Nara
1 night unplanned
6 nights in Tokyo with day trip to Nikko
2 nights in Hakone
2 nights in Koyasan
Then straight to the airports in Osaka from Koyasan

Does that all sound feasible? The only issue I can see is getting from Hakone to Koyasan, as I am unsure how long it will take and how many train changes we would need to make. We are open to changes, especially if someone can recommend another place near Koyasan we could stay instead of Hakone, that would be easy to get too from Tokyo. I looked it up however and couldn't find too much!

The first part of our trip is set in stone however as we are travelling with friends until halfway into our Tokyo stay.

Also feel free to suggest anywhere after Kyoto as well :) thanks in advance!

Mel
by Melanie (guest)  

Re: Travelling from Hakone to Koyasan 2015/7/6 13:35
I would change your itinerary so that you go straight from the airport to Kyoto when you land, and then go from Hakone to Osaka, stay in Osaka a few nights, then Osaka to Koyasan, to break up the trip. From Hakone to Koyasan you're looking at around 5 or more hours of travel. From Hakone to Osaka it's only 3/3.5.

You go through Osaka to get to Koyasan, so you might as well stay there a few nights first.

Hyperdia might help you work out train routes: http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling from Hakone to Koyasan 2015/7/6 13:42
Thanks Mon,

Unfortunately I am not able to change up the first part of my itinerary as I'm travelling with others for that portion of the trip. 5-6 hours is annoying but doable, do you know how much of that will be covered on the JR pass? I'm guessing it will be the portion to Osaka, but not from Osaka to Koyasan?

Thanks again!
by Melanie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travelling from Hakone to Koyasan 2015/7/6 16:39
Yeah sorry I realised that after I posted it that you had said you couldn't change that part!

The trip from Odawara to Osaka is covered by the JR pass, Odawara to Hakone is covered by the Hakone Free Pass (which you can buy at Odawara Station), and the trip to Koyasan from Osaka is covered by the Koyasan World Heritage ticket.

http://www.odakyu.jp/english/deels/freepass/hakone/

http://www.nankaikoya.jp/en/stations/ticket.html

If your travel party is still unsure of what to do for that extra day between Kyoto and Tokyo, I'd suggest spending another day in Kyoto. It really needs 3 days minimum, not including day trips to other places like Nara

Re: Travelling from Hakone to Koyasan 2015/7/6 19:31
Thanks a lot for that. If we weren't to stay at Hakone, could you recommend anywhere that is easy to get to from Tokyo, and close-ish to Mt Koya? We're not so much into temples, more interesting in quirky and exciting!

Re: Travelling from Hakone to Koyasan 2015/7/6 19:58
You could Hakone as a day trip from Tokyo if you still want to see it but not make the big trip to Koyasan. I've gone there as a day trip and for me a full day was enough to enjoy it.

Tokyo to Koyasan is still a big long trip, maybe a couple of days in Nagoya might interest you? That's only 3.5 hours to Koyasan.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2155.html
I've only spent one day there but I really enjoyed the Aquarium and Port Area. Hoping to spend more time exploring the city next year.

Re: Travelling from Hakone to Koyasan 2015/7/6 20:03
Thank you Mon! You have really helped a lot - we'll look into Nagoya :) I did want to go to the reversible site of destiny and I think that's near there!

Thanks again!!! :)

reply to this thread