Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/12 05:15
Hio,
On my trip through Tateyama Alpine to Tokyo I will come across Matsumoto. Apparently, the only interesting thing I can find is the castle. Is it worth to stop by Matsumoto just for this?
by Moo (guest)  

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/12 10:53
I - as a castle lover - would definitely want to stop by. But it really comes down to your personal interests, how much time you have and what alternatives you have.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/12 12:17
If you like castles, yes. If you don't, then no.
by daai maou (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/12 13:19
Since you will be there already, it is definitely worth a couple of hours to see the castle. It is one of only 12 Japanese castles in original condition. And it is black - quite unusual.
http://www.jcastle.info/castle/profile/53

by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/12 13:29
The castle also has an awesome armour and weapon connection, probably the best I've seen.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/12 15:58
If you walk from the station to the castle you can see the town and also visit Frog Street (a play on words as it also means return - come back again).

The exhibits in the castle make the visit more worthwhile. There might also be the volunteer guides at the entrance depending on the day - that helps get a bit more from the visit.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/12 22:10
I will be able to stay in Matsumoto until 11 or 12 as the train onward from there is a long way.

The play on words you mentioned, Frog... what is that in Japanese? (As I assume the play of words is from).
by Moo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/12 22:45
I agree that there is not too much to do in Matsumoto - but if your going past and have the time it's worth stopping for the castle.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/13 00:01
Kaeru, depending on the kanji used, can mean 'to return' or 'frog'.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/13 01:12
Oooh, yes you are right. I love these Japanese puns. Thank you :)

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/13 01:50
Worth it just for the castle in my opinion. Have you seen that thing?! Pretty awesome.
by Jaserlaxer rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/13 14:53
Well I guess its a go then. Since being so far away from Tokyo also. So far I have visited Himeji, Osaka, Kumamoto and Okayama castles but only went up in Himeji Since I think the others are non originals. I plan on visiting Matsue castle as well.

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/13 15:09
Well put Hikone on the list as well. The castle keep is original and quite nice, it overlooks lake Biwa, and it has great grounds which were still really nice in December (Matsumoto grounds are a bit meh though the moat is nice enough). The castle itself isn't as impressive as Matsumoto and doesn't have the armour collection, but I really enjoyed it. Also Hikone itself is a cute town, quite a nice place to spend an overnight stay at.

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/13 16:03
Agree with Hikone. The castle itself is nothing special compared to Matsumoto - but it has a nice foundation that you don't see in Matsumoto or most original castles period. There also quite a bit to do there as well....
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/20 18:26
decided to take a visit to the castle. Does anyone have any recommendation for the hotels near station?

by Lusi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/20 18:54
IIRC, there's also an ukiyo-e museum there, and a contemporary art museum with work by Yayoi Kusama (or maybe it's just the city art museum...anyway, I'm sure there's some Yayoi Kusama work in one of the Matsumoto museums).
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/20 19:14
I stayed at Matsumoto Yorozuya. Cheap and good, comes with a decent breakfast.Few minutes walk to station, five to ten minutes walk to castle. Not a fan of castles but I was taken with it, climbing the steep staircases and enjoying the view from the castle. Do take a walk there at night to catch the lighted castle too. It is gorgeous at night.
by hosg15 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/7/21 06:21
I've stayed at the Richmond which is quite close to the castle. It is surprisingly modern and good and pretty cheap. Breakfast in the café downstairs is awesome. We have stayed a few times at Buena Vista on the executive levels. It is nice and the restaurants are first rate, but it is a lot further away from the castle in a less interesting part of town, and aside from the views of the mountains from the (top rate) French restaurant on the top level, the vistas aren't particularly beuna at all.

seriously. 2015/8/18 09:06
do you people not know about the classical music festival in matsumoto!?
by War-Desu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Matsumoto worth a visit? 2015/8/18 09:14
hahaha, apparently not :0
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread