Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What to prioritize in Kanazawa 2015/7/16 03:08
Hi,
Will be arriving in Tokyo in a few weeks where I will take a Shinkansen to Kanazawa. Unfortunately I cannot come earlier than to arrive by 14. Noticed on the information on Kanazawa sights that most places close around 16-18 in the afternoon.

So some questions.

Is it very far from the station to the "center of sights"?

Could it be walked around or should I rely on the local touristy buses?

I just get the feeling it would be too time consuming to wait for the buses....

What would you suggest me to put effort on visiting since I only get a few hours.
by Gogo (guest)  

Re: What to prioritize in Kanazawa 2015/7/16 15:59
When you say 12 and 14, you mean 12:00 and 1400 hours don't you? That is not very clear.

The locations are near the train station. The bus ride is less than 10 minutes. Go to the castle and garden first. The old streets can be visited after the castle and garden closes.

Other attractions you would have to visit on the next day. Kanazawa is too great to just spend a few hours.
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What to prioritize in Kanazawa 2015/7/16 16:10
The castle, castle garden and the Kenrokuen are all roughly in the same spot - quickest would be taxi to the castle, but it can be enjoyed from the outside. When finished at the Kenrokuen garden, a detour to Oyama Jinja Shrine might be worthwhile.

The old tea houses/Samurai streets are possibly best after dark. Also, the Utatsuyama temple district has a lot of interesting streets connecting the different places, but I suspect the differences between them is often subtle.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: What to prioritize in Kanazawa 2015/7/17 01:57
Contemporary museum is quite nice.

Kanazawa is known for gold deposits. Gold sprinkled ice cream is a must. How often can you eat gold? Nice Midas touch.
by Art (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What to prioritize in Kanazawa 2015/7/17 04:42
C21st art museum is excellent, and combines v well with the castle and Kenrokuen.
For lunch, Omicho market is v good for great quality seafood at good prices.
by Winter Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread