Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Miyajima 2015/7/28 21:24
I'm planning to arrive to Hiroshima from Kyoto,it will take aroung 2 hours and on the same day to go to Miyajima. Is it enough time to travel there, if I will arrive afternoon ?
by Goldi16  

Re: Miyajima 2015/7/29 11:38
Depends what you want to do on Miyajima. I spent a whole day there! You can do it as a half-day trip if you don't want to take the ropeway/hike to Mt. Misen (and, I have to admit, it wasn't a highlight of my trip there). In an afternoon, you could see the shrine and torii gate, and maybe the major Buddhist temple too. And don't forget the giant rice spoon!
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima 2015/7/29 12:22
The ropeway always seems like a time consuming and expensive add-on (and not much good on a cloudy day). 1/2 a day gives you a lot of time to look around.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima 2015/7/29 15:18
In an afternoon at Miyajima I visited Itsukushima shrine, took the ropeway up Mt Misen and then hiked back down again, and did some shopping in the souvenir shops. I could have visited Daisho-in in that time too but my legs were dead from 90 minutes of constant steps down the mountain.
by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima 2015/7/29 15:53
Also note that the ropeway can get very crowded, especially in peak season (e.g. autumn), meaning it's not a good idea if you've got limited time.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima 2015/7/29 16:41
So It will be enoght time if I will arrive around 14:00/15:00 to Miyajima?
by Goldi16 rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima 2015/7/29 19:20
Yes. But you would have to speed through the shopping arcade. Less time for snacking on local food. Then rush to the cable car. Last car down is about 7pm. So do watch it.

If you take the last car down, the shops would be more than 70% (maybe 90%) closed. So do plan accordingly.
by Joshua Hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Miyajima 2015/7/30 04:57
You might want to arrive a bit late so you can wait for the lights to come on and see the shrine lit up at night. You could walk through the shrine before 5PM when it closes, and then check out some of the other area as it gets dark. There are souvenir shops that stay open after 5 PM although many do close down.

I've also arrived at about 3PM, checked out the shrine, walked up to the ropeway for one of the last rides up, walked up to the top of Mt. Misen for views around the area, and then hiked down the 5,000 stone steps back to the shrine to wait for the lights. After dark, there were still some souvenir shops open and the giant wooden spoon was lit up also.
by Anaguma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread