Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa Renewal After Changing Schools 2015/7/29 11:32
Hi guys!

I don't really like to tell this to anyone but I'm going to be completely honest here. This year has been a pretty rough one for me. So I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder since about two years ago which basically makes me have manic/depressive periods for months at once.

I went to this one university under a scholarship where I studied a major I was not passionate about for a while. The stress from that and along with some other factors led me to have a major depression episode which made me unable to attend school for a whole semester. My parents eventually told me that I shouldn't have to study something I don't like just because I got a scholarship and agreed for me to quit the university to go to a vocational school where I can study art earlier this year. Ever since then I've recovered from my depressive episode and was able to have good attendance and results in my new school.

The thing is, now that my student visa is expiring this December, I have a question about which school's results the renewal of my visa will be granted on? I get that I have to have good attendance/minimum credits for my extension to be accepted, but since I have missed a lot of school while I had depression in the first school, is there a chance that my visa renewal will be rejected?
And just in case do I have to provide medical certificates to account for my depressive episode along with the renewal request?

I'm so sorry for the long post. I'm pretty nervous right now and will be grateful for any info!
by witln  

Re: Visa Renewal After Changing Schools 2015/7/29 17:15
Good that you found an environment where you feel comfortable and which is conducive to your studies :)

If the school has accepted you continue your studies there (whichever it is), and tuition and living expenses are arranged for, I don't see any problem about renewing the "student" resident status.

If you missed big chunks of semester with the earlier university, they might ask you questions, but you can show them the more recent one, that should be fine.

I hope you have already reported to Immigration that you changed schools, by the way, right?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa Renewal After Changing Schools 2015/7/29 20:58
Thank you so much for your reply! And yes, I'm also very glad that I've recovered from what was probably the worst depressive episode that I have ever had.

Now here's another thing... I did inform the immigration about my change in schools but it was not between the 14 days it was required for (I was late and was told to pay a penalty of 10,000 yen which I did). Is my tardiness in informing the immigration going to affect the result of whether my visa extension as well..?
by witln rate this post as useful

Re: Visa Renewal After Changing Schools 2015/7/29 21:48
No, I don't think you have to worry about that delay. Just be careful next time :)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa Renewal After Changing Schools 2015/7/30 13:35
Thank you so much for your answer:) hopefully everything goes well!
by witln rate this post as useful

reply to this thread