Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Japanese Drivers License for Americans 2015/8/1 12:55
Hello! I am American that has been living in Japan for a little over three years now. For a while, it was fun not driving (it used to stress me out in The States) but now I've come to the conclusion that I need a car and I want to be able to drive. Unfortunately for me, my American drivers license expired last year. I was planning to go back to The States this winter but I read somewhere else online you need to prove you were in your home country for three months in order to get your license changed. I can't stay that long because of my job. Right now, I'm unsure what to do. Can anyone direct me to a site or help me as to what to do to get a Japanese drivers license? Thank you!
by K (guest)  

Re: Japanese Drivers License for Americans 2015/8/1 19:20
If your American drivers license has lapsed more than 6 months, it is not possible to transfer it over to a Japanese license, even by taking the test, according to the Driving Bureau in my prefecture. You would be required to start from scratch (i.e. to go to school like a Japanese person would).

Now, my prefecture is also known as being very strict, so the best way to handle it would be to call (or have a friend call for you) to explain the situation and get their advice.

But if you live in Gunma you're out of luck.
by scarreddragon rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Drivers License for Americans 2015/8/2 18:55
My understanding is that you don't actually have to go to school. Though most everyone chooses that route, I believe you can just take the tests. Though as it seems you've probably been out of practice for a while you might want to go to driving school anyway.

But yes, you're basically starting from scratch just like any regular person getting their license for the first time rather than transferring your license as is normally done by foreigners (even though as an American you'd still have to take a simplified test).
by Harimogura (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Drivers License for Americans 2015/8/3 09:41
It's NOT actually possible to get your US driver's license "transferred" or "changed over" to a Japanese driver's license, without a short written test and a driving test.
(I assume you mean this?)

Only certain countries are allowed to change over without a short written test, and passing a driving test.

by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Drivers License for Americans 2015/8/3 10:29
It's NOT actually possible to get your US driver's license "transferred" or "changed over" to a Japanese driver's license, without a short written test and a driving test.

I'm sure Scarreddragon understands that as her answer alludes to the test. I presume she is trying to find out his expiration status atm, rather than describe the whole process.

btw, we Americans often refer to the process in shorthand as "converting" or "transferring" even though there is testing involved.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Japanese Drivers License for Americans 2015/8/3 23:18
Thanks for your replies everyone.

Yes, it's been over six months since it expired and it has been a while since I drove. I was expecting to take a test since I am an American. I'll just have to start over then...
by K (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread