Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Made a mistake writing an address? 2015/8/18 11:39
Today I mailed a letter to Japan.

I wrote down the address as Tomioka, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 0060012, but the proper address was supposed to read Tomioka, Teine, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 0060012.

I forgot to write Teine, obviously.

My question is, will my letter get lost? I looked up the zip code and it's clearly a zip code for Teine. I thought maybe that might be my saving grace?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks~
by Aqua Ink  

Re: Made a mistake writing an address? 2015/8/18 11:54
No problem. It should be fine as long as the postal code is correct. The post office can figure out the rest.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Made a mistake writing an address? 2015/8/20 19:10
You seem to have almost specified the district by place names; postal service staff can find it as long as the postal code is written and read correctly.

The postal code 006-0012 refers to
Tomioka-Nijo, Teine (Ward), (City of) Sapporo, Hokkaido (Prefecture).

There are six districts whose name begin with "Tomioka" in Teine Ward of Sapporo City, and they are assigned different postal codes.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Made a mistake writing an address? 2015/8/21 07:43
I sent a letter the other day with important contents. I didn't register it. The postcode I was given was wrong by two digits, though everything else was right.
The addressee was living at a house that did not share the same family name.

Two weeks later and it hadn't arrived and I was cursing myself for not registering it. The addressee rang the local post office and they had it, but were hesitating to deliver it because there were two pieces of wrong / unexpected information on it. The OP hasn't responded to the thread, but if you don't have it, contact the PO.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Made a mistake writing an address? 2015/8/28 02:50
I mailed the letter last week and it's well out of the country by now. It would be useless to contact my local post office since they most likely don't have the letter anymore. Anyway, the post code I wrote was correct, as was everything else, aside from the mistake I made of not writing Teine. Shouldn't it still arrive at the correct address, since the postal code is obviously a Teine code?
by Aqua Ink rate this post as useful

Re: Made a mistake writing an address? 2015/8/28 08:18
Shouldn't it still arrive at the correct address, since the postal code is obviously a Teine code?

As previously mentioned, it should be fine as the postal code provide redundancy. Give it another week or two for delivery as it usually takes around 1-3 weeks for regular mail to get to Japan from the US.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Made a mistake writing an address? 2015/8/28 08:57
"tomioka" has 6 different postal codes.
tomioka 1-jo, 006-0011
tomioka 2-jo, 006-0012
tomioka 3-jo, 006-0013

your address should be "tomioka 2-jo".
if so, your letter should arrive correctly.
(the code of 006-0012 indicates that the address is "tomioka 2-jo, teine, sapporo, hokkaido".)

the postal codes are scanned by computers, and are sorted automatically. the missing of "teine" has no problem at all.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread