Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

8 days (Tokyo-Kansai) trip 2015/8/22 17:46
Hi! I'll be travelling to Japan mid-September this year for 8 days.

I'm wondering if I need to purchase both JR rail passes and a Suica or just the JR rail pass would suffice.

On the first day would I need to purchase a separate ticket to get from Narita airport into Tokyo/Shinjuku? (are there any other alternatives?)

Also, what would be a good itinerary for my trip. I would like to cover:

- Tokyo
- Disneyland
- Tokyo Dome City (worth the visit?)
- any other suggestions?

- Osaka
- Namba
- Aquarium

- Kyoto
- Single strand udon restaurant (near Kitano Tenmagu Temple)

- Nara
- Nara park

I would also like to stay in a Ryokan (preferably in Osaka/Kyoto), visit the Onsen (is Oedo Onsen an authentic experience?) and if you have any other places I should visit please feel free to recommend them here.

Thank you!
by giennyv  

Re: 8 days (Tokyo-Kansai) trip 2015/8/24 07:37

Are you returning to Narita to fly out? If so, then a 7 day pass will cover the travel to and from Tokyo-Kyoto, and some of the local travel. If you're flying out from Osaka, then a JR pass won't pay off and you'll need to buy individual tickets.
If you are getting a pass, if you start it on the day you arrive, then you can cover the trip to shinjuku with the pass. But it all depends on when you're coming back to Tokyo. Make sure you cover your trip back from Kyoto!

You will need a Suica card for all the non JR trains and buses in the various cities, the JR pass only covers JR lines.

For onsen you could do a day trip to Hakone from Tokyo (or visit it on the way to Kyoto), or to Arima Onsen in Kobe from Kyoto.

by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 8 days (Tokyo-Kansai) trip 2015/8/26 01:07
I will be leaving from NRT airport again. Right now my plan is:

Day1: arrive in NRT 2pm
-stay in Tokyo for 1 night (visit Meiji Shrine, Harajuku, Shinjuku, Shibuya)

Day2: Leave for Kyoto
-Kibune (i'm planning to have a meal in Hirrobun)
-Gion corner

Day3: Stay in Kyoto
-make a day trip to Nara to visit wild deers
-Arashimaya (bamboo groves)
- any suggestion where I should stay in Kyoto? Preferbably a ryokan with onsen

Day4: Leave for Osaka
- visit Namba, Shinsekai

Day5: Leave for Tokyo

Day6: Disneyland

Day7: Disneysea

Day8: arrive NRT airport at 4pm

I have a ton of things to do in Tokyo but my plans for Osaka and Kyoto is still pretty empty. What would be a good day trip plan for osaka?

I just use Hyperdia and realized I cannot go to Osaka via Tokyo because it uses the NOZOMI line but it is possible to go back to Tokyo from Osaka using the JR pass right?

Would it be less tiring (&more like a holiday) if I skipped Osaka entirely and return to Tokyo on Day 4 so I can visit Shin-Yokohama on Day 5?

Thank you for answering my questions!
by giennyv (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 8 days (Tokyo-Kansai) trip 2015/8/26 08:17
I just use Hyperdia and realized I cannot go to Osaka via Tokyo because it uses the NOZOMI line but it is possible to go back to Tokyo from Osaka using the JR pass right?

You can only use Hikari or Kodama trains with JR Pass

Tokyo-Shin-Osaka with Hikari Shinkansen
Shin-Osaka-Osaka with regular JR Lines
Osaka JR Loop
Other lines are private which you can use Suica, Pasmo or Icoca Cards

Hope this helps!
Have fun!!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: 8 days (Tokyo-Kansai) trip 2015/8/26 11:42
The main attractions of Kyoto are Arashiyama, Higashiyama, Philosopher's path, Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Fushimi Inari Taisha, and Gion/Potoncho.

You only seem to be covering Gion....
Which month are you going?
by joshua hugh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 8 days (Tokyo-Kansai) trip 2015/8/26 16:43
For things to do in Osaka it depends what you like to do..

- Universal Studios (but it looks like you are already going to both of the Disney themeparks)
- Kuromon Markets
- Shopping and eating at Dotonbori and Shinsaibashi
- Osaka Aquarium
- Explore around Umeda - Umeda Sky Building at Sunset

For more ideas we have compiled a Japan Vlogs: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB5PjSceAtASOrhlU8hwwXVxaYPN8E3...
by Phatsthetics (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread