Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Autumn (hike) in Tohoku 2015/8/23 23:57
Hi all,

I will be in Japan on 30 Oct - 9 Nov with entry/exit point at Tokyo. Initially I only planned to do short visit at Aomori, but there's so many great autumn spots at Tohoku area that I'm thinking to spend 5-7 days at Tohoku.

Places to visit are Bandai-san & Urabandai, Iwaki-san, Shirakami-sanchi, Anmon Falls, Oirase stream, Lake Towada, Yamadera, Hirosaki, Dakigaeri gorge, Kuroishi city. I welcome other recommendations!

Kindy help with some doubts for the planning:
1. Will it be too late to view autumn foliage in Tohoku during the first week of November? Oirase stream's foliage may be over but will there be anything left to enjoy?

2. I will reach Narita at 9am. Is it better to directly continue to Aomori (by train) or stay at Tokyo and leave the next morning?

3. To minimize changing hotels, is it better to stay at Aomori city or Hirosaki?

4. There are mixed reviews for difficulties in hiking Bandai-san, Hakkoda-san, and Iwaki-san. Is it particularly safe to hike for non-experience hiker? Is it also too late to hike, as snow may have formed?

5. I came across bus schedule for Shirakami-sanchi. Does it mean that the bus only runs until 3 Nov? http://www.konanbus.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/shirakami...

Any comments will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
by Moccy (guest)  

Re: Autumn (hike) in Tohoku 2015/8/24 07:48
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn (hike) in Tohoku 2015/8/24 08:07
You might want to make sure you can actually get to some places, as certain roads and forms of transport cease in winter, which can be early November.

Having a quick look, for Shirakami sanchi you can get to the Juniko lakes till late November, and Anmon Falls till early November. The buses to Oirase stream stop early November. Buses to Hakkodasan reduce to three daily from early November. I would say that it's probably too late to hike Hakkodasan, but you'll need to research it more to be sure.

I would go straight to Aomori on the day of landing, personally, to maximise your chances of seeing anything up in Northern Tohoku.
by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn (hike) in Tohoku 2015/8/24 12:32
Thank you, girltokyo. I've been using the autumn color report but wondering if it's only referring to the peak period or the end of the foliage.

Thanks for the advise, Mon. I will be going directly on the arrival date. As I will reach there around 4-5pm, any idea what to do around Hachinohe/Hirosaki/Aomori?

I found the bus schedule to Towadako which ends on 17 Nov, but could not specific bus to Oirase stream. Is it the same bus?

Thanks again!
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn (hike) in Tohoku 2015/8/24 16:23
Hi, I'm living in Akita - you picked up Dakigaeri gorge, Akita.
Around the Dakigaeri gorge ( Senboku city ), normally the peek season is middle - end of October. I think still great to see beautiful autumn reefs with blue water river.

the nearest Shinkansen station is Kakunodate station, there are Samurai district, you can see historical houses with autumn reefs too.

The other recommendation, different location - Oyasu gorge
http://www.tripadvisor.jp/Attraction_Review-g1022323-d1423637-Reviews-...

This is natural hotspring geyser.
the peek is end of October to beginning of November.
this is nice too.

by Nao (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn (hike) in Tohoku 2015/8/27 19:05
Hi Nao,

Thanks for sharing.
Dakigaeri gorge was on my list but there is no information on public transportation going there. I saw an article mentioning a free shuttle from Kakunodate which operates until early November. Is there somewhere to check the bus schedule?

I was planning to only stop over at Akita to visit Seitai Hoshikai (Our Lady of Akita church). Is it possible to cover Kakunodate and Dakigaeri gorge as well in one day?

Thank you.
by Moccy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn (hike) in Tohoku 2015/8/28 00:57
There were 4 daily runs of the shuttle bus between Kakunodate and Dakigaeri Gorge last year.
http://kakunodate-kanko.jp/osusume/docs/20140912163559228.pdf

The bus to Oirase Stream is the same bus to Towada-ko from either Aomori or Hachinohe.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn (hike) in Tohoku 2015/8/28 01:34
Awesome, thank you so much!

I have a questions regarding Shirakami sanchi walking trail to Anmon falls. There is a bus going to Aqua Green Village Anmon back and forth to Hirosaki station. There is also another trail starting from Shirakami Sanchi Visitor Center. Some resources mention about the hike up from the trail up to Anmon fall. Is this possible to cover both area in one day hike?
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn (hike) in Tohoku 2015/8/28 03:38
The bus to Towada-ko stops along the Oirase Gorge at a few stops The one most people get off is Ishigedo and walk upstream towards the lake.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Autumn (hike) in Tohoku 2015/8/28 10:05
I have a questions regarding Shirakami sanchi walking trail to Anmon falls. There is a bus going to Aqua Green Village Anmon back and forth to Hirosaki station. There is also another trail starting from Shirakami Sanchi Visitor Center. Some resources mention about the hike up from the trail up to Anmon fall. Is this possible to cover both area in one day hike.

The bus stop for Anmon no Taki is Aqua Green Village and there's tourist information there as well as accommodation / camping facilities.
There is also another Visitor Centre which I think on the Akita side.
Japan Hike has some good information. https://japanhike.wordpress.com/2014/07/11/anmon/

I have a vague feeling that it's possible to walk up to Tsugaru Toge, through the forest, but don't attempt that without getting proper information.

I took a picture of the walking map of Anmon No Taki when I was there. There is no path to Tsugaru Toge marked on it.
http://ponkanchan.blogspot.jp/2012/08/shirakami-sanchi-anmon-falls.htm...

Bus services are infrequent.
by girltokyo (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread