Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ideas for second (short) trip to Japan 2015/8/24 01:44
Hi,

I am thinking about going to Japan (Tokyo) for a short 8 day trip coming february. I've travelled to Japan one time before, in November 2011. I used this forum for some helpful tips back then.

Having looked at some of the suggested itineraries, they point me to places I've been before. My last trip was Tokyo-Nikko-Takayama, Kanazawa-Kyoto-Mt. Koya-Osaka-Hiroshima-Miyajima-Nagasaki-Fukuoka.

I would be landing in Tokyo, and plan to visit Mt. Fuji this time. I was hoping I could get some advice or tips on places to go to.

Should I stay around Tokyo, visit Yokohama and Hakone perhaps, or does anybody have other suggestions? What trip should I make with 8 days, considering the places I have visited before?

Thanks for any answers and advice.
by BartJM  

Re: Ideas for second (short) trip to Japan 2015/8/24 05:13
Here are 3 days I suggest.
Mt Takao in Western Tokyo is interesting and the nearby Imperial Mausoleum has the very elaborate tombs of the last two emperors.
The Izu peninsula is good (warmer, too). Shimoda is where Perry's ships landed to open Japan to the west. Near Shimoda station is a ropeway to a small mountain with a great view.
Kamakura has the large Buddha, Zeniarai Shrine (wash coins in a cave for good luck with money).
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Ideas for second (short) trip to Japan 2015/8/24 07:27
The Kamakura buddah is closed from Jan to March next year for cleaning.

In February there's lots of options to make the most of the season.

- Kawazu on the Izu Peninsula has early blooming cherry blossoms
- Winter in the morning is a good time to get a view of Mt Fuji from Kawaguchiko. Stay the night and get up early in the morning for the best chance of a stunning clear view.
- Snow monkeys at Yamanouchi
- Shirakawago light up (last one of the season is on Feb 14)
- Zao snow monsters
- so many winter festivals. Besides the better known ones in Hokkaido, there's also ones in Tokamachi, Hirosaki, Yokote, Hachinohe, and Koiwai outside of Morioka.

If you don't want to stray too far from Tokyo, I'd suggest perhaps Izu (2 days) - Kawaguchiko (2 days) - Nagano/Yamanouchi via Matsumoto (1-2 days) -Tokyo

by Mon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ideas for second (short) trip to Japan 2015/8/24 08:00
I agree with @Mon that a trip to Nagano would be well worth it.

There are several onsens and the snow monkeys, in my personal opinion, are amazing to see! I saw them at Yudanaka.
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ideas for second (short) trip to Japan 2015/8/24 16:28
Thanks for your replies, some fantastic ideas.

My time in Japan will be from 20-28 february. I was already thinking about going to Fuji, so the snow monkeys would be great. Will i still be able to see the early cherry blossoms on the dates that I am there?

Thanks also for the history tips, as a history teacher those are great :)
by BartJM rate this post as useful

Re: Ideas for second (short) trip to Japan 2015/8/24 17:08
Hi Bart

Just so you know, the snow monkeys are in Nagano (not at Mt. Fuji).

Here is a link with more info:
http://www.go-nagano.net/modules/contents07/index.php?id=1&mode=disdet...

Enjoy your trip :)
by Ohara (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Ideas for second (short) trip to Japan 2015/8/25 01:40
Great, good to know :) Thanks for the link

Re: Ideas for second (short) trip to Japan 2015/8/25 12:53
The Cherry Blossom festival at Kawazu and Minami Izu is from Feb. 10 to March 10. A bus from Shimoda to Minami Izu takes 25 mins. DON'T go on a weekend.
http://izu-sakuraya.jp/english/travelinfo/cherryblossom/index.htm

Re: Ideas for second (short) trip to Japan 2015/8/25 13:07
Forgot about the train. The Odoriko Express takes about 2-1/2 hours. Trains leave Tokyo station at 7:30, 8:00 and 9:00.
Also from Shinjuku at 8:30 and 9:25.

Re: Ideas for second (short) trip to Japan 2015/8/27 02:06
Thanks for the link Dick, train will be nice yes :)

reply to this thread