Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

One Week Away - Itinerary check 2015/8/28 21:41
I posted a few months ago hoping for some input on my itinerary and got some great responses, thank you to all who helped then. I kept the basics of my days in terms of where I'd be, but have now re-arrranged and shifted some things around. The baseball game, MAZDA museum and both concerts are already taken care of and I'm very excited for each one. I plan to bring ~800USD worth of cash and exchange at the airport, is this enough if I also plan to use my credit card when possible (no foreign transaction fee card)?

September 3 (Thursday) Fly out of DC through Dallas
September 4 (Friday) Land in Tokyo, check in AirBnB (Shibuya).
September 5 (Saturday) Akihabara, Ginza, Shin Okubo, Skytree/Aquarium
September 6 (Sunday) ASEAN festival in Yoyogi Park, explore Harajuku, Omotesando, Nakano Broadway, Omoide Yokocho and Shinjuku Gyo-en
September 7 (Monday) Full day in Yokohama (Chinatown, Zoorasia, Minato Mirai, Osanbashi)
September 8 (Tuesday) Activate JR Pass, Kamakura/Enoshima
September 9 (Wednesday) water taxi to Odaiba, Meiji Jingu, Tokyo Gov Building
September 10 (Thursday) early Shinkansen to Hiroshima, check-in AirBnB, Peace Park, ticket to baseball game (1800)
September 11 (Friday) MAZDA Museum (10 AM), Miyajima
September 12 (Saturday) mid morning Shinkansen to Okayama, check-in hotel, explore Okayama Koraku-en, Sambomaster concert (1800)
September 13 (Sunday) Shinkansento Kyoto, visit Nishiki Market, check-in hotel, Ultra Tower concert (1800)
September 14 (Monday) Shinkansen back to NRT, 1830 flight home out of Narita

Is there anywhere I can store my extra bag in Tokyo before leaving for Hiroshima/Okayama/etc? I'd like to do that leg of my trip with just my backpack, so if I can leave my other bag somewhere it'd be really convenient.

Food/restaurant suggestions would be helpful, I like lots of different types of food, but do not eat sushi much and do not particularly like raw foods. Aside from that, Izakaya, Korean bbq, Taiwanese, ramen and especially JCurry are on my list.

I like hiking and hope to be able to fit in Takao-san while I'm in Tokyo, but I'm not sure I will have time. I'm not particularly into shrines, but want to see one or two. Otherwise, I like live music, urban walking and food from all over. Any suggestions are appreciated.
by drcorndog  

Re: One Week Away - Itinerary check 2015/8/31 23:07
Leaving Thursday, any last minute tips/advice is much appreciated!
by drcorndog rate this post as useful

Re: One Week Away - Itinerary check 2015/9/1 00:34
There is an early Shinkansen train that to Hiroshima that starts at Shin-Yokohama station at 6:00 AM. It is the only direct JR Shinkansen to Hiroshima from the Tokyo area, and will arrive at 9:58 AM. This train will give you more time to visit places that day. It will be very difficult to get from Shibuya to Shin-Yokohama station in time to catch it. If you want to catch this train, you might want to change where you stay the night before.

As for checking a bag, I flew in and out of Fukuoka on one of my trips to Japan. I stayed at the same hotel at the beginning and end of my trip (the Hakata Route Inn). This hotel allowed me to leave some of my luggage at the hotel while I traveled. I was also able to do this at the Sakura House in Ikebukuro (again, I had made reservations to stay there after a short trip to Nikko).

If you have reservations at the same place, you may ask the staff if you can leave some of your luggage there.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: One Week Away - Itinerary check 2015/9/1 01:23
Is there anywhere I can store my extra bag in Tokyo before leaving for Hiroshima/Okayama/etc? I'd like to do that leg of my trip with just my backpack, so if I can leave my other bag somewhere it'd be really convenient.

The Temporary Luggage Storage at Haneda is very good! Good prices as well.
http://www.haneda-airport.jp/inter/en/premises/service/delivery.html

But I guess the only issue with that is you will need to go to Haneda after to get bags before going to Narita. So maybe an early morning Shinkansen back to Tokyo on last day.

Other then that, I think the itinerary is very good!

Ichiran Ramen in Shibuya pretty good and cheap! Yummy!

Hope this helps!!
Have fun!!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: One Week Away - Itinerary check 2015/9/2 20:23
Thanks for all the pointers, I leave tomorrow! I'm going to try and exchange cash at the Mitsubishi bank in Narita Airport. Has anyone tried this, are their rates OK?
by drcorndog rate this post as useful

reply to this thread