Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting to Koyasan from Kyoto 2015/9/19 06:24
Hi, I will be traveling to Koyasan from Kyoto in the middle of April 2016 and spending a night in a Temple/hotel and doing a lot of hiking.
? Do I need two nights there
? Which Surutto Kansai rail pass would be best( I have JR pass)
? Which is the most luxurious accommodation as unable to sit
traditional style, it's to be my only luxury night on the trip.
? Which are the best walks not to be missed in daytime or night
? and any places to eat for lunch
I very much appreciate the help offered by the participants of this forum
Viv
by Viv (guest)  

Re: Getting to Koyasan from Kyoto 2015/9/19 16:10
We travelled from Kyoto via Osaka to shin iniyama using jr pass and then bought the regular koya San world heritage ticket.
We left Kyoto around 8am and arrived around 11. We used the bus and were able to see all the sites including an afternoon walk thru the cemetery in one day (11am to 5pm). We booked our temple stay via emailing the koya San tourist association. We stayed at komyoin and enjoyed great vegetarian food and insensitive. One night is enough. We attended the morning ceremony had awesome breakfast at the temple and left early the next morning back to Kyoto. It was a total highlight of our trip especially the journey to koya san.
Most of the temples I imagine will be traditional Japanese style eg sleep on futon and sit on ground for meals. Ask the koya wan tourist association for western style rooms and meals. We had lunch in the Main Street at a place that did noodles sushi etc. the cementary walk is best I the afternoon after all the tour groups have gone.
by Nasum (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting to Koyasan from Kyoto 2015/9/19 21:58
Thanks, That's perfect info and I will follow your suggestion re graveyard for the time to visit, photography is huge part of my trip so I imagine I will be a little slower than you, did you pick out a particular route or are to visit?
by Viv (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting to Koyasan from Kyoto 2015/9/20 01:10
I used Koyasan heritage pass to travel to Koyasan from Osaka and stay at Ekoin temple. Some temple stay will arrange for night walk through the cemetary to Okunoin for a short prayer session. It is a very serene and enlightening experience.
Do join in if you have a chance as it was the most memorable experience during my visit to Koyasan.
by syng rate this post as useful

Re: Getting to Koyasan from Kyoto 2015/9/20 09:07
We walked the full length of the path thru the cemetery to Kobe daishi tomb but it was closing when we arrived. We saw maybe 5 people on the walk. It will be dim with low light for photography due to the wonderful tall trees. You may try in the morning early before the tours arrive.
by Nasum (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread