Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

ic card balance transfer 2015/9/22 07:37
Hi!

I bought 2 icoca cards on my last trip to Japan but didn't use them at all. I'm now planning to go back, and yes, less than 10 years has passed so I should be able to use them still but I'm wondering if it's possible to transfer the balance from one card to another so I only have 1 card to look after.

Thanks
by icoca user (guest)  

Re: ic card balance transfer 2015/9/22 08:48
There is no way to directly do that in one step. Multiple steps are necessary, and along the way you will lose some money due to handling fees:

1) Return one card and get a refund. Here you will get back your deposit, but you will also be charged a handling fee of 220 yen.

2) Charge the second card with the money you got refunded.

All this has to be done in the JR West service area. It cannot be done in Tokyo and other areas outside of the JR West service area.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: ic card balance transfer 2015/9/22 08:48
I'm wondering if it's possible to transfer the balance from one card to another so I only have 1 card to look after

No, you'd have to cash out one card (with the requisite fees) and then load it onto the other card. Best to just use one till its almost gone and then cash out the deposit.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread