Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Unlimited pocket wifi for a month or two? 2015/9/27 09:07
i've been using the so-net sim card on my phone and everything has been great. I definitely recommend it for phones. however i need to use the internet on my laptop for work related file transfers. are there options for unlimited data pocket wifi for a month or two? I'm in Japan with a visitor visa. any suggestions would be appreciated!
by matic  

Re: Unlimited pocket wifi for a month or two? 2015/9/27 14:51
Just Google 'japan pocket wifi', and you find many providers with unlimited data offers. However, your so-net sim supports tethering, so this could be an option to use on your desktop, if you don't need too much data.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Unlimited pocket wifi for a month or two? 2015/9/27 17:37
yes, tethering is an option. but i'm looking for an unlimited service pocket wifi as i'm a designer and need to send large files
by matic rate this post as useful

Re: Unlimited pocket wifi for a month or two? 2015/9/27 21:18
Some pocket wifis have a download/upload limit where they begin to slow significantly, so watch out for that.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Unlimited pocket wifi for a month or two? 2015/9/27 21:20
When I first started to rent pocket wifi's during my trips to Japan about 3 years ago, there weren't too many options. Many companies now. I have used Global Advanced starting in 2012. They are very reliable.

However, even Global Advanced has throttling in place for some of their plans. One really needs to look at the fine print to see if their plan fits ones usage and needs.

For instance, Global Advanced now has a very fast 165 Mbps pocket wifi, but it is throttled when using more than 1 GB in 3 days. To me, what is the use of very fast speeds, with that kind of limit? At least their upper tier 75 Mbps is not throttled (I think; the website says that Global will pay any extra "fees"). They have a lower tier 75 Mbps plan that is throttled.

CDJapan looks like they have a 110 Mbps pocket wifi which appears not to be throttled, but I would contact them to be sure.

Honestly, though, the vast majority of users shouldn't worry about these limits. However, I travel with two teens and a wife who are addicted to ultra high speeds and large data usage (at home, we regularly use over 700 to 800 gb per month). When we travel, they have their devices, and it is impossible for me to control their use!!! What has this world come to?

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

Re: Unlimited pocket wifi for a month or two? 2015/9/27 21:22
sq (guest) and I are on the same page!

Dale
by Oenophile Angler rate this post as useful

reply to this thread