Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Walking around with luggage 2015/10/2 13:12
Hi all,

Is it quite common to see people walking around the city carrying luggage? When I was in Kyoto and nearby cities, I saw some people (usually ladies) pulling small luggages around -- maybe on their way to the lodging place.

I'm thinking to stop over at Kakunodate on the way from Narita to Aomori. I will carry a 20 inch luggage but there are only few big lockers at Kakunodate station. In the worst case, I may need to lug the luggage around. Is this quite acceptable? I'm not considering sending the luggage using TaQ-bin for some reason.

Thank you.
by Moccy  

Re: Walking around with luggage 2015/10/2 15:08
Is it quite common to see people walking around the city carrying luggage?

Well, it's becoming rather common these days, probably as foreign tourists are increasing. In general, local (Japanese) tourists carry smaller luggage, or they send their luggage via delivery service.

When I was in Kyoto and nearby cities, I saw some people (usually ladies) pulling small luggages around -- maybe on their way to the lodging place.

I saw the same at Osaka Namba this year. I feel they are just strolling with their luggage. Honestly, it's not look smart, but acceptable. Maybe they can't find coin lockers nearby. Actually, recently I wanted to find coin locker at Yokohama station and finally found it in the Sotetsu Yokohama station: A station stuff passed me the gate for free to use the coin locker. I could do this because I can speak Japanese (I am a Japanese), but those who can not communicate with the station staff may have difficulty to do this.

I'm thinking to stop over at Kakunodate on the way from Narita to Aomori. I will carry a 20 inch luggage but there are only few big lockers at Kakunodate station. In the worst case, I may need to lug the luggage around. Is this quite acceptable?

Kakunodate has nice "Information" which keep your luggage.

å–kŽsŠÏŒõî•ñƒZƒ“ƒ^[ŠpŠÙ‰w‘O‘ 

https://goo.gl/gxNA2y

After arriving Kakunodade, go straight to this place, get travel information (map, and so on) and keep your luggage.

Enjoy your trip!
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Walking around with luggage 2015/10/2 16:57
Hi frog1954,
Thank you for the awesome information! I will definitely look for this place.

Just in case the staff couldn't understand my request to keep the luggage, how to say the following in Japanese?
- May I keep my luggage here?
- How much is the fee?
- Can I take my luggage?
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Walking around with luggage 2015/10/2 17:11
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Walking around with luggage 2015/10/2 22:14
Just in case the staff couldn't understand my request to keep the luggage, how to say the following in Japanese?

I don't think the staff can not understand your request, since this place is the travel information and the baggage storage. Even if you say nothing, they will understand you want to keep your luggage. However, some Japanese words may help your/their communication. At least they will be pleased to hear local language.

- May I keep my luggage here?

Nimotsu wo azukatte moraemasuka?

- How much is the fee?

Oikura desuka? FYI, it was 200 yen per luggage, as far as I searched on the web. I think they will say two hundred yen, or show you a card saying "200 yen/one baggage".

- Can I take my luggage?

Motte itte ii desuka?

However, unless you are learning Japanese, these phrase are too complex. So, just say "sumimasen" (excuse me, thank you, hello) and say what you want. It is OK to say it in English, Mandarin or Malay. Just smile and say it. You will be fine.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Walking around with luggage 2015/10/2 23:17
i can assure you the staff at Kakunodate tourist center understands english.
I was there this year January, and the staff was very friendly.
*when you go out of the train stn, its on your left in a separate building.

by ejump0 rate this post as useful

Re: Walking around with luggage 2015/10/5 20:54
Thank you for the great advises! It's a great relief that the staff understands English.

I watch and listen to Japanese entertainment (music, movies) so I understand some basic conversation. However I'm not an active speaker and never gone through formal course, so I don't have confidence in speak it out. Knowing basic phrases will be very helpful and it may come handy when required.
by Moccy rate this post as useful

Re: Walking around with luggage 2015/10/5 23:34
You can try this. Go to Google and search translate.
Google translate appears. Type in the English phrase. Translate it to Japanese. There would be a button to press that pronounce the Japanese words. Feel you cannot remember it? Use a smart phone to record the phrase and name it with the English meaning.
by jh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread