Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Osaka/Kyoto in Nov 2015/10/2 18:12
Hi, I am planning a trip 7 days trip to Osaka in Nov. As it was rather last min planning, we decide to stay all the 7 days in Osaka instead.
Our hotel is very near to Osaka station and we plan to do 2 day trips to Kyoto.
The following are the place of interest that we wish to visit in Kyoto, but I am not sure how to plan the itinerary and deciding on the best train lines and stations that I should alight as I understand that stopping at Kyoto station might not be the best choice

Would really appreciate the help in planning.

1) Arashiyama Bamboo Grove
2) Kinkagu-Ji
3) Gion
4) Fushimi Inari Shrine
5) Nishiki Market

Thank you in advance for all the advice. Do let me know if there are areas that I shouldn't miss in Kyoto

Clar
by Clar (guest)  

Re: Osaka/Kyoto in Nov 2015/10/3 06:12
Which date in Nov? Just note there is a few National Holiday in Nov that could make it busy.

November 3 (national holiday)
Culture Day (bunka no hi)

November 15
Seven-Five-Three (shichigosan)

November 23 (national holiday)
Labour Thanksgiving Day (kinro kansha no hi)

More info here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2062.html

As for your itinerary:
1) Arashiyama Bamboo Grove You need to train and good time to go for the Fall Colors!
2) Kinkagu-Ji You need to bus
3) Gion You can bus or train
4) Fushimi Inari Shrine You need to train
5) Nishiki Market You can bus or train

You could probably do Arashiyama first and then Golden Temple and Nishiki Market in one day.

You should do Fushimi Inari, Kiyomizudera Temple, walk through Higashiyama District to Gion. You could also switch Fushimi Inari to night time for a more interesting walk up the hill.

Hope this helps!!
Have Fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka/Kyoto in Nov 2015/10/3 08:34
1) Arashiyama Bamboo Grove
2) Kinkagu-Ji

From Osaka station, you should take Hankyu (Umeda station) to Katsura and then transfer to Hankyu Arashiyama line to Arashiyama. From Arashiyama to Kinkakuji, take JR to Enmachi and then transfer to Kyoto City bus, or take Randen to Kitanohakubaicho.

Please check by yourself via Arukumachikyoto.

http://www.arukumachikyoto.jp/index.php?lang=en

Use "Search Bus/Train Route". At present, this is the most comprehensive route finder for Kyoto sightseeing. You don't need to type train station, but just type some first characters for your destination: for example just type Kin then Arukumachi will compensate the remaining characters to make Kinkakuji.

3) Gion
4) Fushimi Inari Shrine
5) Nishiki Market

See Google map and you will find Gion and Nishiki Market is not so far, while Fushimi Inari is far south. You may want to consider Tofukuji, Kiyomizudera and Todaiji which are famous for autumn foliage. Since November is autumn foliage season and most crowded month of the year, you should avoid buses (they are so packed and might get into the traffic jam), especially in the afternoon (in the morning, it would be somewhat less crowded).
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka/Kyoto in Nov 2015/10/5 10:03
Thank you both for the advice.

I will be arriving in Osaka on 9 Nov til 16 Nov. Hopefully I can catch some autumn colours on 13 & 14 Nov in Kyoto though I read somewhere that the best time to be there is mid Nov onwards.. keeping my fingers crossed.
by Clar (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka/Kyoto in Nov 2015/10/5 11:01
Sorry,

Tofukuji, Kiyomizudera and Todaiji

not Todaiji but Kodaiji near Kiyomizudera.

According to Japan Meteorological Agency, the temperature of Kyoto on September is 1.5C lower than the average.

http://www.data.jma.go.jp/obd/stats/etrn/view/monthly_s1.php?prec_no=6...

This will make the autumn foliage comes earlier, maybe by one week.

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+117751

Hope you will enjoy autumn foliage in Kyoto.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka/Kyoto in Nov 2015/10/5 11:07
That will be great! Just wondering how cold will it be Nov. Trying to google and the average is around 18 deg c..

Or should I pack something much warmer?

Re: Osaka/Kyoto in Nov 2015/10/6 00:54
Daytime light jacket
Night time a hoodie or heaver jacket would be needed

Oh by the way the sunset will be around 5pm (or earlier) at this time of the year.

Hope this helps!!
Have fun!!
by Koohii2wii rate this post as useful

Re: Osaka/Kyoto in Nov 2015/10/6 10:28
Thank you so much, Koohii2wii !

reply to this thread