Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Weather advice Takayama, Kanazawa early dec 2015/10/6 09:29
Hi,can anyone please advice the average temperature in takayama and Kanazawa on 2nd - 6th December ?
Some advisor says that there will be snow but checking from web, it's say 5-10 deg..do you think I need thick winter wear?
Thank you
by Skenki  

Re: Weather advice Takayama, Kanazawa early dec 2015/10/6 10:39
Hi. It would be really unusual for there to be snow in Takayama that early. It usually comes in very close to Christmas. Shirakawa however would potentially have snow at that time, but take care because it tends to get very icy and slippery. So I wouldn't be expecting snow in Takayama, though the nights will be very cold.

Kanazawa might have some snow, but unlikely I think. It also has a lot of rain that time of year, so whatever snow falls might be slushy. Personally if I was to go to Kanazawa around December/January again, I'd take rubber boots because I kept stepping into puddles under the snow and we spend half of each night trying to dry out our supposedly waterproof boots. It would also be cold, sometimes I think it is colder before it snows, especially when it is windy.

Have fun!
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Weather advice Takayama, Kanazawa early dec 2015/10/6 10:42
Sorry I missed the point - the temps should run around the range you were given. I'd take a very heavy jacket, personally I think layering clothes is hopeless in Japan because it is always so hot inside anywhere, it is easier to take off one jacket than 6 layers.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Weather advice Takayama, Kanazawa early dec 2015/10/6 13:00
I personally just soak in the onsen for half an hour in the morning and another time the previous night and charge through negative temperatures.

Takayama and Kanazawa may see snow. Though this is more due to the upper atmosphere being way colder than the temperature where humans live. This usually results in slush as mentioned above. kanazawa however has less chance of snow due to being nearer the sea.

All in all, I would take a thermal under shirt and a normal outer wear. If cold, I'll remove the outer wear. Pack a jacket just in case. If the first day is already killing you, don it, if not just leave it in the bag always.
by Jh (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Weather advice Takayama, Kanazawa early dec 2015/10/6 21:39
http://weather.yahoo.co.jp/weather/jp/past/21/5220.html?c=2014&m=11
this is the last year's weather at Takayama.
on Dec. 2-6 in 2014, the highest is from 0 to 6 degree, and the lowest is from minus 2 to 1 degree. it was colder than you expect. on Dec. 6 in 2014, it was snowy.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread